Welcome to Lazarus

Please register to view all features

Discussion [Discussion] Amend the Citizenship Act?

New Rogernomics

Councilor (75%)
Staff member
First Citizen (PM)
Herald
D. Epistates
Epilektoi (CLS)
Citizen
Resident (Lazarus)
Verified
Feather
ƒ4,546
Litten
Charmander
Nation
New Rogernomics
Region
Lazarus
Current Citizenship Act:
Lazarene Citizenship Act (January 2020)

Proposed by: @New Rogernomics

Article I. Grant of Citizenship

(1) Applicants must have a nation in Lazarus, and comply with:

a. Laws and Treaties that may restrict participation or membership in other regions or organizations.
b. Policies established for the citizenship application, inclusive of forum administration checks.

(2) The Prime Minister shall appoint a Minister as a Granting Official to advise the Delegate on citizenship applications.

(3) The Granting Official may recommend to the Delegate that an applicant be declined when they:

a. Have no nation residing in Lazarus or noted on their application.
b. Have a criminal history in another region or organization.
c. Do not present themselves as a good prospect for citizenship.

(4) Forum Administration shall decline an applicant inclusive of failing IP or Proxy checks set for the application.

(5) The Granting Official shall then advise the Delegate on an application, who has the final authority to permit or decline citizenship.

(6) In the absence of a Granting Official, the Delegate may approve or reject citizenship applications.

Article II. Deprivation of Citizenship

(1) Reasons to revoke citizenship shall include:

a. Having no nation residing within Lazarus.
b. Failing to follow policies established by Forum Administration.
c. Any other reasons that may be established by law.

(2) Citizens shall be advised by the Assembly Speaker, Forum Administration, or the Granting Official each month that their citizenship shall be revoked:
a. Through posting a list of citizens on the forum stating that they may have their citizenship revoked.
b. Through private communication on the forum, discord, or by telegram.

(3) Revoking of citizenship shall occur:
a. Within 5 days of being advised that their citizenship shall be revoked.
b. Immediately or temporarily if Forum Administration considers them to be an OOC threat.

(4) The Assembly may alternatively permit an inactivity waiver for a citizen by two-thirds vote.

Article III. Renunciation of Citizenship

(1) A citizen may renounce their citizenship by a post on the forum or by private communication.
We could possibly amend the citizenship act to just allow the Delegate to appoint a granting official, which means we don't have to wait for elections each time to have someone in charge of immigration. They would still have to be confirmed per usual of course.
Lazarene Citizenship Act (January 2020)

Proposed by: @New Rogernomics

Article I. Grant of Citizenship

(1) Applicants must have a nation in Lazarus, and comply with:

a. Laws and Treaties that may restrict participation or membership in other regions or organizations.
b. Policies established for the citizenship application, inclusive of forum administration checks.

(2) The Delegate shall appoint a Granting Official to advise the Delegate on citizenship applications.

(3) The Granting Official or the Prime Minister may recommend to the Delegate that an applicant be declined when they:

a. Have no nation residing in Lazarus or noted on their application.
b. Have a criminal history in another region or organization.
c. Do not present themselves as a good prospect for citizenship.

(4) Forum Administration shall decline an applicant inclusive of failing IP or Proxy checks set for the application.

(5) The Granting Official or the Prime Minister shall then advise the Delegate on an application, who has the final authority to permit or decline citizenship.

(6) Once the application is approved by the Granting Official or the Prime Minister, it will be passed to the Delegate, who has the final authority to permit or decline citizenship.

(7)
In the absence of a Granting Official or the Prime Minister, the Delegate may approve or reject citizenship applications.

Article II. Deprivation of Citizenship

(1) Reasons to revoke citizenship shall include:

a. Having no nation residing within Lazarus.
b. Failing to follow policies established by Forum Administration.
c. Any other reasons that may be established by law.

(2) Citizens shall be advised by the Assembly Speaker, Forum Administration, or the Granting Official each month that their citizenship shall be revoked:
a. Through posting a list of citizens on the forum stating that they may have their citizenship revoked.
b. Through private communication on the forum, discord, or by telegram.

(3) Revoking of citizenship shall occur:
a. Within 5 days of being advised that their citizenship shall be revoked.
b. Immediately or temporarily if Forum Administration considers them to be an OOC threat.

(4) The Assembly may alternatively permit an inactivity waiver for a citizen by two-thirds vote.

Article III. Renunciation of Citizenship

(1) A citizen may renounce their citizenship by a post on the forum or by private communication.
Otherwise, we leave it as is, and wait for elections to conclude each time.

Only problem with that of course is that we will have a gap of time during elections where the Delegate has to do it without one.

Last edited:
I'd tend to be in favor of this idea but I'm a bit wary that a Prime Minister might use that unchecked power to sway citizenship applications in a direction that would favor the PM's interests.

What about a requirement for Delegate validation of the PM's decision? Other than that, it seems like a good idea, who's a granting official should theoretically not be a controversial point of internal management and the position is more something that requires anyone competent and willing than a position that requires a particular vision and direction for the region.

Roger's proposal removes the PM entirely from the process.

I would recommend that the changes made in the amendment are labelled in green so those changes are more apparent to those who are reading it.

Sure I'm on board.

But we still have the problem of no granting official right now, and allowing the Delegate to appoint one doesn't really fix that

This also means the Delegate could just chose to never appoint one

To fix that, what if we have someone serve in the interim if there is no granting official? Say the PM?

Sure I'm on board.

But we still have the problem of no granting official right now, and allowing the Delegate to appoint one doesn't really fix that

This also means the Delegate could just chose to never appoint one

To fix that, what if we have someone serve in the interim if there is no granting official? Say the PM?
Then you'd still have the situation as now where the Delegate has to do it technically alone during the election period.

Probably should put shall instead of may though for the language there.

Then you'd still have the situation as now where the Delegate has to do it technically alone during the election period.

Probably should put shall instead of may though for the language there.
I'm ok with that though

I just think we should have a backup because otherwise this allows the position to just never get filled and basically kills it

I'm ok with that though

I just think we should have a backup because otherwise this allows the position to just never get filled and basically kills it
The Delegate ultimately decides, though there are a few alternative ways to do it. Modified it above.

With above, the PM or the Granting Official can approve/decline an application, and if neither agrees to put it forward then like now it gets tabled/archived.

Back