Welcome to Lazarus

Please register to view all features

Proposal Criminal Procedure Amendment (March 2022)

Wait I'm legitimately confused. Can't we just make a thread asking the court for legal questions regarding a potential case? Or is that not really possible in our current law?
The court has three days to take the case and if they do the trial starts. There is no way for the court to review any legal challenges before the start of the trial that the defendant or any citizen may raise.

I would just submit a question to the court regarding the above questions. How is this not allowed in law?

I would just submit a question to the court regarding the above questions. How is this not allowed in law?
I have done exactly that. Fortunately, the relevant trial has to be appropriately refiled, and there is now definitely time to put the question before the court, ahead of the trial.

Okay, then why the legislation?
What if in the future we run into a situation where we have a properly filed complaint but the defendant raises a constitutional claim that has some degree of validity? There would be no way to stop the trial. They would have to file a separate question but the trial would go on. They may even be banned from the region before their claims can even be heard.

What if in the future we run into a situation where we have a properly filed complaint but the defendant raises a constitutional claim that has some degree of validity? There would be no way to stop the trial. They would have to file a separate question but the trial would go on. They may even be banned from the region before their claims can even be heard.
It is (and should be) up to the court to decide if it has a degree of validity, not the petitioner

It is (and should be) up to the court to decide if it has a degree of validity, not the petitioner
Hence why a legal question has been posited to the court.
At the same time, we must use the legislature to fix legal flaws as they are discovered. We cannot simply rely on the court to solve all our problems. We gotta do some things ourselves.

Hence why a legal question has been posited to the court.
At the same time, we must use the legislature to fix legal flaws as they are discovered. We cannot simply rely on the court to solve all our problems. We gotta do some things ourselves.
I still don't see what this law accomplishes. It seems we are already able to do what you want to do

I still don't see what this law accomplishes. It seems we are already able to do what you want to do
The thing is, we aren't. We simply got lucky this time. We can't count on that happening again. :-/

We aren't allowed to pose a question to the judiciary instead of filing a criminal complaint?
A charge from the criminal complaint could set a dangerous precedent. Of course when it was filed, Domais and Wang didn't realize it. It was too late to pose a question to the court at that point because the criminal complaint was ahead of it in the queue. It couldn't be withdrawn. It either had to be accepted or not. So now the amendment intends to make it possible to withdraw a case before the three-day period.

Okay, I see what you're saying now lol, sorry for the confusion!

I support this then
I almost thought you were just messing with me. xD

I second the motion.

With some issued raised on our discord, I am going to give them another 24 hours, maybe less, and then it goes to vote. I am waiting to hear back from the author.

Back