Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pharcyde

Verified
Feather
ƒ1,165
Nation
The Pharcyde
This act is inspired by RL quarterly earnings reports. This act requires the CEO to provide regular reports to shareholders about LazCorp's performance and direction. It is also a way to hold the delegate accountable for being active and having a vision.​

Mandate 12
II. Delegate of Lazarus

Establishment of the office of Delegate

(1) The Delegate will serve as head of state, head of government, lawful WA Delegate, and the chief governing authority of Lazarus.

(2) The Delegate may not serve in any other office while serving as Delegate, except that the Delegate will be suspended from the Council of Lazarene Security if they are already a Councillor, but will automatically resume membership on the Council after their term as Delegate.

(3) The Delegate will serve until resignation, removal from office by the Assembly, or automatic removal from office.

Powers of the Delegate

(4) The Assembly Speaker will promptly present all general and constitutional laws or resolutions, amendments to or repeals of such laws or resolutions, and amendments to this Mandate to the Delegate for approval. The Delegate may then grant or withhold approval, but only such legislation that has been approved by the Delegate will become enacted law.

(5) The Delegate may admit residents of Lazarus to citizenship, or may delegate this responsibility to the government official(s) of their choosing. Further procedure for citizenship admission, including procedure for appealing rejection of a citizenship application by the Delegate, as well as criteria for maintenance of citizenship and enforcement of such criteria, may be established by law.

(6) The Delegate may, subject to confirmation by 50%+1 vote of the Council on Lazarene Security, impose revocation of citizenship, ejection and/or ban from Lazarus, or other measures to preserve the security and stability of Lazarus, for whatever duration of time is determined appropriate. The Assembly may overturn such decisions by three-quarters vote.

(7) The Delegate may, subject to confirmation by 50%+1 vote of the Assembly or 50%+1 vote of the Council on Lazarene Security, establish and revise endorsement limits for Lazarus. The Delegate may enforce such limits and will be assisted by the Vice Delegate and Council on Lazarene Security as needed. The Vice Delegate and Councillors will not be subject to such endorsement limits.

(8) The Delegate may impose upon a person a punishment permitted by law, including revocation of citizenship, restriction of ability to vote and/or hold office, ejection and/or banishment from Lazarus and other measures, should the Court confirm by two-thirds vote that the person has committed a criminal offence. The person must have had reasonable opportunity to defend themselves against the charges during a Criminal Review. The Assembly may overturn or reduce such punishments by three-quarters vote.

Line of succession for the office of Delegate

(9) The Vice Delegate will be first in the line of succession, followed by each Councillor in the order determined by the Delegate with confirmation by 50%+1 vote of the Assembly. The first person in the line of succession who is willing and able to serve will succeed to the office of Delegate in the event that the office of Delegate is vacant.

(10) The Delegate may appoint the Vice Delegate or a Councillor to serve as Acting Delegate in the event of the Delegate's scheduled absence. In the event of the Delegate's unscheduled absence exceeding seven days, as certified by 50%+1 vote of the Council on Lazarene Security, the first person in the line of succession who is willing and able to serve will serve as Acting Delegate until the Delegate returns.

Internal Monthly Reports from the Delegate

a. No sooner than 21 days later;
b. No later than 31 days later.

1)Monthly seems too short even more so if 2)it starts a recall on the delegate and it also seems to require a lot of the delegate.

Now if maybe it was 4 months instead of 1? And wouldn't this be within the Gazette already?

Hrm, that could be a cool thing and also cool that you proposed a thing in general! I like it because I feel like it might not only keep the executive focused and the citizenry informed but also like help newer folks understand what the regional government is all about and what kind of things they could maybe get involved in. ^^

Although... I'm not sure about automatically triggering a recall vote. Like, I understand that it's really important to have an active and involved delegate, but people do get held up sometimes and I feel like this might just add like drama (like "oh no, the delegate might be about to be recalled") to a situation like that. I don't know, I guess it's important to be held accountable for things, but at the same time I don't feel like not making a report on time should really be cause to start like the impeachment process. People can start it on their own if they think leadership needs to change.

Edit: I posted before I saw what LZ posted so whoops for semi-repeating what he said. D:

The recall part is not constitutional, in any case Imaginary. Basically recall is a manual and not automatic process - unless the Delegate resigns as happened recently. First someone needs to post a proposal/discussion that lasts several days, then a vote is held. You could specify not doing a monthly update as a reason for recall, but it couldn't be a mandated reason for recall through act. You'd have to amend the constitution to allow that.

Though, if you were to amend. It might make more sense to make it a new duty of the Delegate, than tied to recall. Not doing the duty of the Delegate, is always a reason for recall anyway.

The other part might not be constitutional either, in the sense that the Delegate couldn't be compelled to do this. But I'd have to look into that.

Monthly as Zombal said is not too often. It might be better to have the Delegate do a weekly update via RMB or dispatch.

Amending the constitution to mandate reports is one option I could get behind. If I have time later today I'll draft an amendment version.

New Rogernomics said:
The recall part is not constitutional, in any case Imaginary. Basically recall is a manual and not automatic process - unless the Delegate resigns as happened recently. First someone needs to post a proposal/discussion that lasts several days, then a vote is held.
Just to be 100% clear, my ideas was not to automatically recall the delegate. The act would only automatically start the vote, bypassing the several days discussion. Automatic recall would be going way too far.

New Rogernomics said:
Monthly as Zombal said is not too often. It might be better to have the Delegate do a weekly update via RMB or dispatch.
Zombal thought it was too often. I could get behind a weekly update.[/hr]

Just to be 100% clear, my ideas was not to automatically recall the delegate. The act would only automatically start the vote, bypassing the several days discussion. Automatic recall would be going way too far.
That would require amending the assembly procedures act first, which requires at minimum three days of discussion for a vote.
[font=Roboto,]Zombal thought it was too often. I could get behind a weekly update.[/font]

Me: idk, I think longer than a month would be better
Pharcyde: Alright... Alright... let's dooo... weekly?

:p

I'd say 2 or 3 months, I went for 4 cause then it would be quarterly.

If the reports are short as you said though, one month would be good to have. The recall vote is still meh imo, how about it auto-starts the discussion? Pretty sure it needs that as per the Mandate but I'd have to double check.

The reports are a good idea.

The delegate recall vote not so much. 1 month is a long time, but are monthly updates *that* important?

joWhatup said:
The reports are a good idea.

The delegate recall vote not so much. 1 month is a long time, but are monthly updates *that* important?
In my opinion, monthly updates *are* that important.

It's not exactly the same situation, but the effect of safety policy changes described in this article is the effect I can envision monthly reports having. Beyond simply keeping citizens informed, this act establishes a cultural expectation that our Delegate be active, have a vision, and keep the region's pulse.

I think that if someone is expected to regularly write about what they've done and are going to do, they'll spend more time thinking about those things. Do you agree?

Legalist Zombal said:
Me: idk, I think longer than a month would be better
Pharcyde: Alright... Alright... let's dooo... weekly?

:p

I'd say 2 or 3 months, I went for 4 cause then it would be quarterly.

If the reports are short as you said though, one month would be good to have. The recall vote is still meh imo, how about it auto-starts the discussion? Pretty sure it needs that as per the Mandate but I'd have to double check.
I like that. Auto-starting the discussion is a superior idea.

I changed the act to an amendment.

I got busy in real life and am behind on current affairs in Lazarus. I'm going to hold off on moving this discussion forward for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back