Litten
Charmander
Nation
New Rogernomics
Region
Lazarus

@"New Rogernomics"​

[font=Roboto,]PreambleSection 1. Amendment of Section IV

Democracy has not worked for Lazarus. It will not work this time, no matter the position.

It should be allowed, yes, but it should not be required in any way.

It's reductive to say that "democracy has not worked for Lazarus". I for one am in favour; I think that electing cabinet ministers alone strikes the perfect balance of security, activity and sensible policy. I expect the election procedure would have a knockout/rounds system in case nobody got more than 50%.

Democracy seems very Lazarene, don't you think?

Legalist?Zombal;5890 said:
Democracy has not worked for Lazarus. It will not work this time, no matter the position.

It should be allowed, yes, but it should not be required in any way.

This would not be a democratic transition in any traditional sense, as the Delegate will still be able to, as now, reject candidates they don't favor and put forth candidates they do.

I am not a fan of adding forced elections in any way honestly, I would prefer it be kept to appointments voted on by the people.

Legalist?Zombal;5898 said:
I am not a fan of adding forced elections in any way honestly, I would prefer it be kept to appointments voted on by the people.

So I would like to also publicly state my view has changed. I wish for the region to use a challenge election system for the cabinet, maybe the speaker, but not elect the delegate. It is not very drastic to the current system and is very similar to NR's proposal here.

My only issue is that I do not think the following would allow for challenges:
(5) The Delegate shall undertake to appoint Cabinet Ministers for ministries, through an election undertaken by the assembly, with each candidate requiring a 50%+1 majority to be considered for regional appointment by the Delegate. This Election procedure may be further defined by law.

It allows procedure to be defined by law but it *HAS* to be a delegate appoint to start the election. I think we could straight change this to challenge or it could be reworded to allow alternative ways to start the challenge election as stated by law (then it could be included in that law)

I don't think this goes far enough, but I'm willing to support it as a first step toward what I hope will eventually be more robust reform.

I'm not particular on whether we do this through scheduled elections or challenge elections, so I'll defer to others' preferences on that.

Text removed: Removed
Text added: Added

IV. Cabinet of Lazarus

(1) The Cabinet shall contain any ministries mandated by law.

(12) The Delegate will may set the course of the Cabinet with such additional ministries, programs, and activities as they determine are beneficial for Lazarus.

(3) The responsibilities of ministries, mandated by law or otherwise, may not overlap.

(2 4) The Delegate may issue executive directives to set public policy for executive ministries, programs, and activities. Such directives will remain in effect unless rescinded by the Delegate who issued them or a subsequent Delegate. Such directives may also be amended by the Delegate who issued them or a subsequent Delegate.

(3 5) The Delegate may shall undertake toto assist with executivefor ministries, programs, and activities, and must fill any ministries mandated by law. Appointment of Cabinet Ministers will be subject to confirmation bywith each candidate requiring a 50%+1 vote of the Assemblymajority to be considered for regional appointment by the Delegate. This Election procedure may be further defined by law.

(4 6) Cabinet Ministers will serve until resignation, removal from office by the Assembly or the Delegate, or automatic removal from office.

(5) The Delegate may provide for the appointment and removal of Cabinet deputies.

More Proposed Changes:

(7) Cabinet or Deputy Ministers may be removed through an election, in accordance with election procedure as defined by law.

(3) The responsibilities of ministries, mandated by law or otherwise, may not overlap.

Legalist Zombal;6301 said:
So I would like to also publicly state my view has changed. I wish for the region to use a challenge election system for the cabinet, maybe the speaker, but not elect the delegate. It is not very drastic to the current system and is very similar to NR's proposal here.

My only issue is that I do not think the following would allow for challenges:
(5) The Delegate shall undertake to appoint Cabinet Ministers for ministries, through an election undertaken by the assembly, with each candidate requiring a 50%+1 majority to be considered for regional appointment by the Delegate. This Election procedure may be further defined by law.

It allows procedure to be defined by law but it *HAS* to be a delegate appoint to start the election. I think we could straight change this to challenge or it could be reworded to allow alternative ways to start the challenge election as stated by law (then it could be included in that law)
Added a fix above.

So the delegate can appoint AND it can be done via "election determined by law"? So we also would need that election procedures to work for challenge elections.

Legalist Zombal;6308 said:
So the delegate can appoint AND it can be done via "election determined by law"? So we also would need that election procedures to work for challenge elections.
The election procedures in an Elections Act we would pass, would determine that. This is a constitution amendment to allow for regional elections. Right now, an Elections Act would not be valid, as the Delegate only can direct for elections to ne held.

This would fix that, as I'll explain below.

Challenge Scenario:

1) X is bad at their job, and Y and Z challenge X to an election.
2) Elections Act defines for example that election campaigns run for one week, and elections for one week.
3) Z gets 50+1%
4) Delegate okay with Z, so Z is elected or Delegate doesn't like.
5) Elections Act defines that next highest candidate is selected or new election must be held.
6) Delegate appoints Y, as X lost challenge.

General Election (Managed):

1) Election held let's say every 3-4 months, as defined by Elections Act.
2) Elections Act defines for example that election campaigns run for one week, and elections for one week.
3) X, Y, and Z run.
4) Z wins if 50+1% or runoff election.
5) Delegate can reject or accept Z, Y, X.

General Election:

1) Election held let's say every 3-4 months, as defined by Elections Act.
3) X, Y, and Z run.
4) Z wins if 50+1% or runoff election.
5) Elections Act defines appointment as acceptance of results or a new election held.

Those are allowed, if the Elections Act defines it as such.

I'm in favour; I believe it is in perfect balance between security and democracy.

IV. Cabinet of Lazarus

(1) The Cabinet shall contain any ministries mandated by law.

(2) The Delegate may create additional ministries...

who issued them or a subsequent Delegate.

(4) The Delegate mayto assist with executiveprograms, and activities, and must fill any ministries mandated by law. Appointment of Cabinet Ministers will be subject to confirmation byvote of the Assembly(8) The Delegate may provide for the appointment and removal of Cabinet deputies.

(6) How deputies are decided

More Proposed Changes:

(6) Cabinet or Deputy Ministers may be removed through an election, in accordance with election procedure as defined by law.

What about recall votes?

(2) The Delegate may create additional ministries...

https://www.nslazarus.com/thread-722.htmlwho issued them or a subsequent Delegate.

https://www.nslazarus.com/thread-722.html
(6) How deputies are decided

https://www.nslazarus.com/thread-168.html
Section 3. Deputies to the Assembly Speaker

(1) The Assembly Speaker may appoint deputies to assist in presiding over the Assembly according to its procedural rules. Appointment of a deputy will be subject to confirmation by 50%+1 vote of the Assembly if the deputy-designate has previously been removed from office by the Assembly.

(2) Deputies to the Assembly Speaker will serve until resignation, removal from office by the Assembly or the Assembly Speaker, or automatic removal from office as defined by Mandate 12.

(3) Any powers or responsibilities assigned to the Assembly Speaker by these procedures, Mandate 12, or any other law, unless explicitly directed otherwise, may be delegated by the Assembly Speaker to their deputy or deputies, and rescinded by the Assembly Speaker. Deputies will not have the power to appoint or remove other deputies.
More Proposed Changes:

(6) Cabinet or Deputy Ministers may be removed through an election, in accordance with election procedure as defined by law.

What about recall votes?

The Assembly Procedures Act only provides for electing deputies to the Speaker. We still have to decide how deputy ministers attain office.
We already have. Deputies are appointed by Ministers, which must in turn be approved by the Assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back