Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War with the NPO
Lazarus,

I was recently requested by a public relations executive from a neighboring firm about what our thoughts on the war with the New Pacific Order are. What are they? Please vote on the poll above and post any details about your opinion below.

Thank you!
~Imaginary
[spoiler=mooze pencil][Image: attachment.php?aid=36]
thankz denado<3[/spoiler]
I’m in favour of continuing as is. We’ve been stepped on long enough, and while it may not progress much, it still sends a message.
Personally I believe this war has gone on long enough. We stand to gain nothing from continuing this war any longer. A raid I went on at minor today confirmed this, a combined force of the osrian and lazarene militaries were unable to defeat the legio pacifica during what is the legio pacifica's weaker update. Right now we can probably stand to get some more concessions by ending this war, after a few more months with events like today's we will be lucky to get a status quo. The NPO fulfilled nearly all of the requests from what was meant to be a list of conditions it would never accept. We must face reality, the NPO is not going anywhere, it is better to grab a few more concessions while we still can then waste more effort on a fruitless war that takes up time and effort that could be better spent improving Lazarus. We would still be in the APC, an alliance against the NPO, but we would be freed from a war that is now taking in more than it gives out.
I have to agree with Wym here. We should always keep our distance from the hostile organisation that is NPO, but we should not wage a pointless war. I think we should agree that the war has gone on for way too long. We have done what we coul.
I was never a fan of it from the very beginning (for reasons that I've stated multiple times, all of which hold true). The NPO as an entity, for better or for worse, is here to stay, and as Wym already stated, they actually met the demands made of them. It should also be noted that their current Emperor has a long track record (outside of this realm) to outright ban any and all behavior of the sort that led to this war in the first place.

The only potential "issue" I see is that the PR Director will need to talk this over a bit with sister sinker Osiris, but other than that, it shouldn't be an issue.
I think we shouldn't leave the war while we have a treaty signed with the Coalition, and certainly not while Osiris is still in the war.

As no matter how you try to spin it, abandoning the war, and leaving Osiris to fend for itself would look like Lazarus abandoning it's commitments. Osiris would then be well within their rights to take it as a betrayal and end their treaty with Lazarus, and weaken our position to resist outside actors and not just the NPO.

I am as much opposed to leaving the war, as I was cautious about beginning the war in the first place.

If Osiris wishes to end the war, I might reconsider. But no one here has been officially advised of any change of stance.

Leaving now even after consulting Osiris, will severely damage our reputation. I certainly wouldn't trust Lazarus, if hypothetically Lazarus went to war alongside another region, only to abandon them because it was "too much of a hassle".

The war has no negative effect on Lazarus, except for not being able to open an embassy with the NPO and befriend them officially.
That said,

If Lazarus was to hypothetically end the war, with the least amount of diplomatic damage, I would advise:

1. Holding a vote to repeal the treaty with the coalition.
2. Holding a vote to repeal the treaty with Osiris, as we would no longer be full allies if we leave the NPO war.*
3. Making a diplomatic statement apologizing to Osiris and thanking them for standing with us in the NPO war.
4. Making a diplomatic statement to the NPO, formally ending the war and opening up at the very least partial diplomatic relations with them.

If you leave a war, you need to make an effort to secure peace. Poking the NPO, if we are no longer at war with them is like poking a bear. Don't poke the bear.

*Alternatively, amending it to remove provisions that may require us to defend Osiris against the NPO.
Let's continue the war.
NR, sorry, but I could not disagree more with your assessment.

First, Laz leaving while Osi stays in does not mean that the commitment that Lazarus and Osiris have made in mutual defense vanishes. Lazarus will still have the responsibility (and also the privilege) to help defend its sister sinker from any aggression (including by the NPO). Repealing the Osi treaty, which was not made because of the NPO war, is like burning down the house because a lightbulb needs to be changed.

Second, the same applies to the APC treaty - that can stay and the provisions still apply even without a declared state of war (and I say this as somebody that thinks the APC treaty is dumb).

Third, suppose Osi wishes to end the war as well. At some point one side has to reach out to at least talk about it. It could be us, it could be them, but if Osiris were to also hold the view of "let's wait until they say something", nothing would ever get done. Regular confidential diplomatic talks are presumably happening either way with such a close ally.

Fourth, it is not Lazarus' reputation that will suffer, because if anything, this would be a cascade of events precipitated by Europeia's rescindal of their declaration many months ago. It's Lazarus saying "we're content with what we're seeing over there and don't want to hold on to the war now just because we feel like it".

Fifth, you can end the war and still say "yeah we're upholding the proscription and we don't really want anything to do with you". There's nothing wrong with that. If we had to be at war with anybody we don't want anything to do with, then we'd have to start working on probably a hundred declarations right now.
New Rogernomics;7914 Wrote:2. Holding a vote to repeal the treaty with Osiris, as we would no longer be full allies if we leave the NPO war.*
[snip]
*Alternatively, amending it to remove provisions that may require us to defend Osiris against the NPO.

Why? Why in Imki's name would we stop defending Osiris against the NPO if we end the war?

What ending the war would do is say "if we see you on the street, we're gonna stop trying to punch you in the face, but we're still not saying hi".
New Rogernomics;7914 Wrote:If you leave a war, you need to make an effort to secure peace. Poking the NPO, if we are no longer at war with them is like poking a bear. Don't poke the bear.

Right now, Lazarus is in open declared war against the New Pacific Order, ergo the NPO is fully justified in countering. And that New Pacific Bear, by the way, still holds the strongest reserve force in the game and its updater force is matched only by the NPA on a very good day. The only thing that could have challenged the NPO in open combat was the full coalition back in the day, but even that has fallen to the wayside with Europeia and a bunch of other regions endings its declared state of hostilities.

This is not poking the bear, this is the chihuahua deciding with good reason not to bite the bear in the ankles anymore.
Roavin;7916 Wrote:NR, sorry, but I could not disagree more with your assessment.

First, Laz leaving while Osi stays in does not mean that the commitment that Lazarus and Osiris have made in mutual defense vanishes. Lazarus will still have the responsibility (and also the privilege) to help defend its sister sinker from any aggression (including by the NPO). Repealing the Osi treaty, which was not made because of the NPO war, is like burning down the house because a lightbulb needs to be changed.

Second, the same applies to the APC treaty - that can stay and the provisions still apply even without a declared state of war (and I say this as somebody that thinks the APC treaty is dumb).

Third, suppose Osi wishes to end the war as well. At some point one side has to reach out to at least talk about it. It could be us, it could be them, but if Osiris were to also hold the view of "let's wait until they say something", nothing would ever get done. Regular confidential diplomatic talks are presumably happening either way with such a close ally.

Fourth, it is not Lazarus' reputation that will suffer, because if anything, this would be a cascade of events precipitated by Europeia's rescindal of their declaration many months ago. It's Lazarus saying "we're content with what we're seeing over there and don't want to hold on to the war now just because we feel like it".

Fifth, you can end the war and still say "yeah we're upholding the proscription and we don't really want anything to do with you". There's nothing wrong with that. If we had to be at war with anybody we don't want anything to do with, then we'd have to start working on probably a hundred declarations right now.
New Rogernomics;7914 Wrote:2. Holding a vote to repeal the treaty with Osiris, as we would no longer be full allies if we leave the NPO war.*
[snip]

Why? Why in Imki's name would we stop defending Osiris against the NPO if we end the war?

What ending the war would do is say "if we see you on the street, we're gonna stop trying to punch you in the face, but we're still not saying hi".
New Rogernomics;7914 Wrote:If you leave a war, you need to make an effort to secure peace. Poking the NPO, if we are no longer at war with them is like poking a bear. Don't poke the bear.

Right now, Lazarus is in open declared war against the New Pacific Order, ergo the NPO is fully justified in countering. And that New Pacific Bear, by the way, still holds the strongest reserve force in the game and its updater force is matched only by the NPA on a very good day. The only thing that could have challenged the NPO in open combat was the full coalition back in the day, but even that has fallen to the wayside with Europeia and a bunch of other regions endings its declared state of hostilities.

This is not poking the bear, this is the chihuahua deciding with good reason not to bite the bear in the ankles anymore.

I am not arguing whether this will 100% be the case, but these are four options to deal with a change of diplomatic and military policy towards the NPO, which all depends on what plan we intend to achieve peace with the NPO in the long-term and not just the short-term.

If we are to end the war, it may require us re-visiting the treaty with Osiris, to look into any clauses that may be of issue, and Osiris is within its rights to not continue a treaty with us. Whether it actually chooses to do so is up to Osiris.

What I argue is that if Osiris decides, "hey Lazarus has abandoned us", they wouldn't be wrong for believing so. Even if we disagree with that.