Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Proposal Regional Guard restructuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Rogernomics

Councilor (75%)
Staff member
Herald
Assembly Speaker
Minister
Councillor (CLS)
Citizen
Lazarene
Verified
Feather
ƒ4,851
Litten
Charmander
Regional Guard restructuring

I am thinking that we need to change the regional guard a little more to have something more permanent, and by that, I mean we need to make the regional guard have a permanent position.

The problem of appointing the Regional Guard commander is that every four months they get dismissed, so we can't retain someone permanently.

We don't really need to dismiss them anyway because the Prime Minister can already stop their operations at will if they go against government policy, and there is already an implication in the act that they should do what the Delegate and PM want operations wise.

Not to mention there is always going to be the issue of how we maintain neutrality as well because a PM could one day be elected that wants to push us towards becoming outright defender or raider, and that could pose problems for our community, as we prefer to be open to both sides of R/D as far as citizens and residents. I wouldn't want us to lose that and shut out folks on R/D affiliation.

There is also a case to be made that appointing the Regional Guard commander should be a decision above politics and based upon merit or dedication to the region and so the Prime Minister shouldn't be the one deciding who becomes the Regional Guard commander or be the one dismissing them. Rather the Delegate and the citizens of Lazarus.

This is what I would propose we change:
Preamble

This amendment to the Charter of the Lazarene Regional Guard to establish a permanent Regional Guard Commander subject to the approval and dismissal by the Delegate and the Assembly.

Section 1. Amendment of the Establishment of the Lazarene Regional Guard

(1) Section 1. Establishment of the Lazarene Regional Guard shall be amended to include:

(1) The Lazarene Regional Guard will be the sole military force of Lazarus, neutral in alignment.

(2) The Delegate will be the commander-in-chief of the Regional Guard. The Delegate must appoint a Regional Guard commander to serve as operational commander of the Regional Guard, subordinate to the Delegate and subject to approval of the Delegate and all provisions for appointment and removal of a minister. Operational command authority may be further delegated to a chain of command. The Regional Guard commander may also be dismissed by the Delegate if the Regional Guard commander goes against government policy or directives set by the Prime Minister.

(3) The command, conduct, and membership criteria of the Regional Guard may be further regulated by law or by executive policy.

(4) The Delegate may disband the Regional Guard as well as suspend all military operations temporarily. While the Regional Guard is disbanded an operational commander for the Regional Guard is not required.
Currently they have to be dismissed every four months even if they are doing a good job, and the regional guard technically ceases to function for the election period or while we wait for the PM to suggest a commander. Something which is going to pose a problem if we want an active military.

Last edited:
Support here, the Guard needs stabilization along with officers and members who would be aware that their position is defined on R/D participation and skill. Currently all the Guard's positions are meritocratic except for its commander one which is an appointed political position with the appointee often being removed when a new government is formed.

Which leads to, by far, the main issue of the Guard: the need for stabilization of its leadership, as few people with trigger skills would actively train a military with a "temporary" commander position. I think this proposal could help in this regard.

I motion this to vote.

Any seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back