- Jun 18, 2021
- Lazarene Dino
Treaty of Hānau Hou
Whereas the Governments of The North Pacific and Lazarus, hereafter jointly referred to as "the signatories", are cognizant of their shared status as governments of the game-created regions; and
Whereas the signatories wish to continue to strengthen ties with one another through further discussions following the success of previous agreements, as well as the undertakings set forth herein;
Therefore, the signatories agree as follows:
Section I - Mutual Recognition
1. The signatories acknowledge the constitutional governments acting at the time of ratification of this treaty to be legitimate and sovereign governments of their respective NationStates regions.
2. The signatories will maintain their established in-game embassies (i.e., on the NationStates site) and off-site embassies (i.e., on their respective regional forums) with each other.
Section II - Intelligence Sharing and Communications
1. In the event that a signatory discovers information regarding a security contingency or threat to the other signatory, said signatory shall provide all pertinent information to the compromised signatory’s head of government as soon as practicable. The contributing signatory shall only provide said information if the disclosure does not violate any existing laws, violate NationStates site terms of service, or unduly compromise the source(s) of the information.
2. The signatories will keep confidential all intelligence provided to them under this Section, unless the other signatory consents to the release.
3. The signatories will not in any way initiate or participate in espionage, subterfuge, or other clandestine operations against one another. For this purpose, a "clandestine operation" is one or more persons acting under false pretenses at the direction of the other signatory in order to gain access to regions, forums, discords, or any other property of the signatory so as to collect non-public or sensitive information.
Section III - Mutual Defense
1. The signatories shall not engage in any military hostilities against one another. Participation by the signatories on opposite sides of a military engagement that does not constitute an attack on either signatory's home regions, their event regions, jump points, or any other owned regions will not be considered "military hostilities against one another" for this purpose.
2. The signatories will not attempt to overthrow one another.
3. Upon request, the signatories shall, to the best of their ability, provide one another military assistance in case of a military attack targeting the other signatory's home region.
Section IV - Cultural Agreements
1. The signatories shall endeavor to conduct communal cultural activities to the benefit of members of both regions, such as an annual festival which showcases each signatory's traditions and rich history.
2. Cultural and Culture-adjacent institutions from each signatory shall be encouraged to host events with one another, share experiences and knowledge, and work together whenever appropriate.
Section V - General Provisions
1. This Treaty shall come into effect upon its ratification by the duly authorized individuals or bodies of both signatories.
2. Upon the ratification, any previous undertakings set forth within treaties between the signatories shall be subsumed under this treaty, unless said undertakings contradict any of the above clauses.
3. The signatories reserve the right to nullify this pact with the approval of their duly authorized individuals or bodies. In the event of such, the nullifying signatory must notify the other as soon as practicable.