Resident Attaché (15%)
Verified
Feather
ƒ1,484
Nation
Canton Empire
Region
Lazarus
I think, in the wake of recent events, we need to sit down as a region and decide where we are going, and the steps we can take to get there. We also should decide on short, medium, and long term goals we want to achieve and how we are going to achieve them.

I'll reply tomorrow. Don't have time tonight. I'll have to go into stuff I am going to be dispatching RP culture wise i.e. building Lazarene culture beyond LazCorp, and share a dispatch or two.

Well, as a start, and what seems the most obvious, is that we need cabinet members who are more active, can commit the time required to get this region out of its inactive state and are more willing to put in the work when things slow to a crawl. One shouldn't have to do all the work themselves, but they should be prepared to when it becomes necessary.

Well, as a start, and what seems the most obvious, is that we need cabinet members who are more active, can commit the time required to get this region out of its inactive state and are more willing to put in the work when things slow to a crawl. One shouldn't have to do all the work themselves, but they should be prepared to when it becomes necessary.
I find the Gazette is a rather sad publication to write for because there is nothing happening on the meaningful level culture wise to write about. It is possible to write regional updates, but then the rest is just musings of what Lazarus could be, what is bad about Lazarus, and what is good about Lazarus. That might be interesting for a few issues, but that sort of issue quickly gets boring, and at some point, only foreign ambassadors are reading only it for duties sake.

I don't volunteer for Vice-Minister or Minister roles, as it means taking time away from things I would rather be doing, as I'd much rather invest my efforts on admin stuff, with regional culture and thus regional activity implications.

A lot of admin work is one step forward, and three steps back, as I figure out how to do something only to find a roadblock.

That said, I am at the point I have a way to create passworded rooms, with bot responses, in the new plugin/add on (which can post to sub-forum posts and have a back in forth between the forum posts and the chat area). So, on the RP activities front i.e. the three RP activities I am building, now I just have to painstakingly create images, and write responses for the bot to say.

It is too late at night for me to say it all clearly, though to sum up the key RP culture ideas:
  • There will be a near future modern-tech military command organization, which will have two task forces/sub-groups,
  • The first task force will be Task Force Argos, which will be for nations that consider themselves more European-ish, Caucasus, Balkan, in RP culture stye.
  • The second task force, which I am still thinking of names for, will be Asia-Pacific orientated, so it is going to have naming more focused toward that region.
  • Each task force will have its own RP naming structure for its command group, so Argos is going to be named more along the lines of Greek/Byzantine, Turkish, and the Balkans.
  • LazCorp will have the purpose of a Reclamation/Reconstruction authority, in this scenario. They will be aid workers, do construction work, and all the things that you'd expect them to do.
I considered alternatives, like some straight up only Greek/Byzantine concept, or reverting to some undead thing, but that is more like hard theming, versus running with a RP concept which can be developed by residents and citizens alike.

Near future modern tech is going to be a lot of fun, as that is really open book as far as what we can RP.

I am thinking already of the first regional scenarios being:
  • Some rebellion situations, where we can draw from other games villains like Kane, and so on, and have RP battles,
  • Feuds between the two task forces, as they come from different regions within Lazarus, and not all the nations are going to agree with each other on things,
  • Terrorist attacks and general civil unrest situations, where the task forces get dragged in to clean up the mess, and LazCorp would be great for a RP in this scenario too, as they could RP the aid workers and the general reconstruction, while the rest of the players battle it out with the "bad guys".
  • A war between one or more specific nations, where all the sides (i.e. task forces) are having to come in and try and stop the fighting or dissuade them from fighting.
  • If we take from some scenario from Pacific-Rim, we could do an actual fight monsters/space aliens scenario, with mechs and such.
  • We could also do a more general alien encounter, where a mysterious ship is discovered, and eventually reverse-engineered.
  • We could RP cyber-attacks, or attacks on LazCorp headquarters, and even have sub-plots of rivalries between players, and evil factions working within LazCorp.
  • Each Task Force will have its own regional scenarios, where the other task force doesn't get involved, like you wouldn't expect the Task Force Argos to be involved in "Asia", or the Asia-Pacific Task force to be involved in "Europe".
Why I think this will be better than outright replacing themes or whatever, is that this can occur in a progression of us deciding what works best in a RP and taking it further.

Anything we don't like we can just call non-canon and avoid using again, except for some special event or general fun.

I eventually see at the end of this us having a RP military organization, and eventually a political one on top of that, which isn't based on LazCorp, though if we RP near future modern-tech, it doesn't matter whether LazCorp is the only corporation, or one of several.

Once we've decided that I think we could branch out into actually having full-scale RP events with other regions like TSP, TEP, where we've organized a scenario in advance.

Then this is more of a maybe but could be fun, IC interactions in-game, where Lazarus and another region pretend to be at war or annoyed with each other IC, and then it gets resolved RP wise, which is part of my wider thoughts on reviving IC in gameplay, which IMO is all but dead. These would be mutual agreements to RP IC, which are discussed OOC at the high levels of each region, and finalized so there are no issues OOC, when it is announced. It could also be done as a situation where everyone (except at the top of each region) is in the dark, but it is implied to be IC, and for everyone to be required act IC if they want to participate. OOC bad behavior would obviously be punished in their subsequent regions.

Last edited:
I wonder if we would be better served having shorter terms, maybe even just 30 days compared to 120.

Yes, it would lead to more elections, but I think one of the things that personally demoralizes a lot of people is being super excited about working in a role, finding out that other members are either not able to be as active, or not as interested, and then they themselves get burned out and become part of the problem as well.

Personally, after my PM term and FA term, I felt a little like that (although I was getting burned out with NS in general a bit, and I've mainly scaled back my involvement to only 1 or 2 regions seriously now).

I think that for a while, it will have to really rely on one or two people being active and getting things done. Hopefully, that'll excite others, and lead to more activity.

I think a shorter term would allow us to have smaller goals, and maybe instances where we feel confident enough to accomplish our agenda and then evaluate whether we want another term. I think 120 days (a third of a year) is way too long for someone to be active and always working on things without being burned out or becoming inactive. I think for thirty days, a great proposal could just be like a) organizing a festival, b) more gameside polls, and c) evaluating our current allies. These are all goals that can be done in 30 days, and I think it's quite reasonable for one or two people to be motivated enough to primarily put the energy and effort in to maintain these for at least 30 days.

Does anyone have thoughts on what they think?

I think one month terms are too short. Instead, perhaps there could be a monthly review (certainly fits the region's theme) in which both the government and the citizens offer separate reviews on their performances. From there we could proceed anyway we feel is appropriate.

I think one month terms are too short. Instead, perhaps there could be a monthly review (certainly fits the region's theme) in which both the government and the citizens offer separate reviews on their performances. From there we could proceed anyway we feel is appropriate.
I proposed monthly government reports a while back and they overall got pooped on but I'm still supportive of that idea?

One month terms? Yeah, no.

I disagree with one month terms. I actually thought the four months are OK, back when I was in government less time would have made it difficult to achieve anything at all before the next elections kick in. As a compromise, I could live with 3 month terms, but anything less than two I'd consider too short.

As a sinker, Lazarus will always have less activity than a feeder region but I do think with thousands of nations as potential shareholders we should be able to get more activity than we have now.

Different people will always feel drawn to different activities, but I think RP will always be one of the main drivers of activity in NS, thus I welcome the ideas posted by New Rogernomics New Rogernomics

Another driver of activity can be raiding/defending. Past governments of Lazarus have already discussed wheter Lazarus should become a more active military actor in the game, which is associated with many potential pitfalls and political complications. I admit I am not up to speed on what the LazGuard currently does...?

I disagree with one month terms. I actually thought the four months are OK, back when I was in government less time would have made it difficult to achieve anything at all before the next elections kick in. As a compromise, I could live with 3 month terms, but anything less than two I'd consider too short.

As a sinker, Lazarus will always have less activity than a feeder region but I do think with thousands of nations as potential shareholders we should be able to get more activity than we have now.

Different people will always feel drawn to different activities, but I think RP will always be one of the main drivers of activity in NS, thus I welcome the ideas posted by New Rogernomics New Rogernomics

Another driver of activity can be raiding/defending. Past governments of Lazarus have already discussed wheter Lazarus should become a more active military actor in the game, which is associated with many potential pitfalls and political complications. I admit I am not up to speed on what the LazGuard currently does...?
Completely agree with Leo. I'd be interested in seeing the Guard take a stand on R/D and potentially go raider.

The Lazarus Guard must not take an R/D position, lest we reopen ourselves to foreign influence. Any Person saying as such must show why the past years of Lazarene History should be disregarded.
Why do we need a military, then?

Why do we need a military, then?
Our Military was created directly for the War with the NPO. It's purpose is to defend ourselves, our allies, and enable us to take Anti-Fascist Action (at least in my view). Although, I wouldn't be opposed to just straight dissolution of the Guard should we no longer need it. However, I'm still waiting for the argument as to why we should ignore the wealth of Lazarene History since 2014 or so and open ourselves up to foreign subversion.

Our Military was created directly for the War with the NPO. It's purpose is to defend ourselves, our allies, and enable us to take Anti-Fascist Action (at least in my view). Although, I wouldn't be opposed to just straight dissolution of the Guard should we no longer need it. However, I'm still waiting for the argument as to why we should ignore the wealth of Lazarene History since 2014 or so and open ourselves up to foreign subversion.
We'll defend our allies really well with those three pilers, I'm sure.

I don't understand what you mean by foreign subversion in regards to the military? Currently it seems very unlikely if not impossible for the military to influence regional politics and while other regions could join and try to manipulate using the Guard as an avenue I don't see that happening.

I would support a dissolution of the Guard in the event that it just continues to do the occasional anti-fascist operation or two. Jo has been an amazing Military Director but I feel like we're just wasting him on a lackluster project at the moment.

If no one wants to push for one side or the other, there's always going independent and just opening ourselves up to tags and normal defenses.

Have to say I'd be opposed to us going raider, as much as going straight defender.

"Independent" is a R/D position with a lot of very bad foreign policy connotations and history, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lost our ties with some defender friendly regions as a result.

I'd much rather Lazarus either keep the status quo or adopt an ideological position on R/D that clearly defines what is acceptable.

But the problem with even that is that it is opening the door to forcing Lazarus down the road of picking one side or the other, unless it is actually a real organic policy to Lazarus*, and not just a copy/paste of ethically unbound imperialism.

*Like Francoism was for the NPO, but even then, it crossed lines, given what happened in Lazarus.

I agree with NR there, we should neither become straight ideological Raiders or Defenders, and the term "Independent" has too much of an history that is not ours.
Unless we establish an organic ideological position based on Lazarus*, we should most likely consider ourselves Unaligned.

* To use NR's example: Francoism was nothing more than what was convenient for the NPO at a particular point of time, instead of an ideology really meant to restrain their leadership's possibilities.
(Unlike for example the Defender ideology that puts limits to what is acceptable to be done by a region)

Those who have read my platform will know that I oppose the dismissal of our military, as I don't think it is wasted efforts, but wasted potential.
I would however advocate for more freedom to the Guard, we can work with only fash and Warzones as military grounds in ordinary circumstances (As admittedly, our Treaty Allies rarely need critical military assistance) but I think it's demotivating for our operatives and officers alike to have some much restraints on what they can do.

The Lazarus Guard must not take an R/D position, lest we reopen ourselves to foreign influence. Any Person saying as such must show why the past years of Lazarene History should be disregarded.
Arguably, this would also make Lazarus more interesting and thus generate activity, although I fully understand it would also mean less political stability.

I only joined here in 2019 so I only read about Lazarene history before Imki took over. I know it was much less stable than it has been since and I am well aware of the foreign control and subversion Lazarus was under.

In this regard, the past three years have been an improvement, the flipside of that being that Lazarus is also quite, well, "boring" nowadays.

Completely concur with Leo.

Arguably, this would also make Lazarus more interesting and thus generate activity, although I fully understand it would also mean less political stability.

I only joined here in 2019 so I only read about Lazarene history before Imki took over. I know it was much less stable than it has been since and I am well aware of the foreign control and subversion Lazarus was under.

In this regard, the past three years have been an improvement, the flipside of that being that Lazarus is also quite, well, "boring" nowadays.
From a position I used to take as a moralist defender, and I guess as Delegate, as I was supportive of the FRA while I was Delegate, I saw a lot of problems start when Lazarus went from full one side in R/D to both.

Lazarus went from some sense of stability, with a position we were clear about, to basically raiders infiltrating the region to swing it their way.

From the opposite end, it would be like if Lazarus was heavily raider, and all of a sudden defenders popped in and started mudding the alignment.

Having a situation where we had both a raider outfit and a defender outfit was an impasse that was bound to break.

I think R/D in general is boring from a gameplayer perspective, as raiding for raiding's sake, and defending for defending sake doesn't really drive activity beyond what you get from the lols, and from annoying the other faction.

That's sort of why I proposed if we ever entered R/D, we should do something unique, and not take the classic positions like imperialist, independent, raider, or defender.

Well, perhaps the region can have two separate militaries? One raider and one defender; with membership being either one or the other, but never both. That way there would be no point in trying to change the region's alignment because it would have both operating completely independent of one another.

Back