Welcome to Lazarus

Please register to view all features

Discussion Prime Minister's Question Time

I would support the idea of a Prime Minister's Question Time, I think a few times per term (At least two) would be positive but probably not a weekly or too regular thing so that the PM still have time to focus on their administration even if they get a busy RL time.

For me, the ideal format for PMQs is as follows:
It would be done in VC with members who wish to ask questions there, along with the current government, and the Speaker or a Deputy. Questions would be submitted to the Speaker by a deadline, who would then select a set of questions (or all of them depending on the number of the questions) and select the order to some extent. If multiple people ask the same question, and are selected, everyone who asked that same question (that was selected) can ask any question they want within reason. The PM must respond to the question, or transfer it to the proper Minister or Deputy Minister. These would be recorded and potentially broadcast as well.

Love the idea.

What does VC mean?

& I don't like the idea of the Speaker filtering out questions. Can't the PM do it themselves if they wish not to answer?

I don't think forcing the PM to give an answer is a good idea anyway -- they will just give a lame response if they don't want to answer but are forced to.

I feel like this would work out well as an open-ended thread created by the Prime Minister in their office subforum.

I'm not a big supporter of having VC a main part of it, but I'm for PM questions, even if it is just a thread where shareholders can ask any questions.

I understand that doing it via VC has an element of extra showmanship that could be desirable, but I think planning a Voice chat where a bunch of people have to be online at one point is very difficult so that wouldn't be my preferred method. I also think a weekly meeting is probably too often, not because we don't expect the government to be around on a week to week basis, but because I don't think things change a lot week to week.

If we're going to do it, I would be in favor of just having a thread where questions can be posted and then answered by the PM. That way when you have the question, you post it right away and you get the answer as soon as possible instead of waiting on a certain date. I also think you'll get a more detailed answer with thought behind it, in written form.

Accommodations could be made for those that don't wish -- or are unable -- to VC, however at a certain point I would argue that VC is becoming a part of playing NationStates today -- at least to some extent. More and more is taking place in VC. I'm okay with it not being weekly.

However I do not think a thread is a good idea, namely because I don't think it would drive activity and the point of PMQs is to keep the government accountable and to keep them from being able to simply use templates responses, additionally it's much easier to 'forget' to answer or to delay the answer.

Accommodations could be made for those that don't wish -- or are unable -- to VC, however at a certain point I would argue that VC is becoming a part of playing NationStates today -- at least to some extent. More and more is taking place in VC. I'm okay with it not being weekly.

However I do not think a thread is a good idea, namely because I don't think it would drive activity and the point of PMQs is to keep the government accountable and to keep them from being able to simply use templates responses, additionally it's much easier to 'forget' to answer or to delay the answer.
A question could always be highlighted again to the PM and if they are obviously ignoring it, pressure can easily be put on them by the citizen who asked the question asking them if they saw their post or reiterating it on discord.

Back