Welcome to Lazarus

Please register to view all features

[Discussion] New Themes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to go ahead and put the vampire theme down, seeing as it did seem to have broad support. There's all kinds of imagery you can use, Gothic architecture, the whole classic horror motif. On top of that there's an associated feudal political structure-the delegate could be the Countess, her cabinet could be Viscounts. I think the whole undead thing also links in rather nicely with Lazarus being resurrected and nations being raised from the boneyard. I don't think our theme necessarily has to be light. Plenty of stuff that's grim is popular.

1. is easily extensible and familiar to everyone. Each qualifier added on to the description of a theme is another step to making the theme harder to join in on and harder to find ways to use, and each obscure reference added to a theme just to make it historically accurate bogs it down. This is a theme to set a basis for the development of our identity, not an alternate history roleplay. In the past, when we've adopted extremely specific themes, people have gotten bored quickly once they realize they're stuck within narrow bounds and have to make up everything besides the titles.
  2. It needs to be uncontroversial and inoffensive, regardless of cultural background. This is where we've hit a wall with Christian proposals before. In general, the easiest way to be sure you're uncontroversial is to go farther back in history.
Ancient Greek
  • Percy Jackson

I strongly support everything Aumelodia has said about an ancient Greek theme. We've spent a good long while developing it as a foundation for our regional culture and identity. We spent a good long time arguing and discussing the merits of a new theme- from Transylvanian vampires to no theme at all. Killer Kitty made a noteworthy point that we're all kind of tired of switching identities like a revolving door until we get it right, desperately chasing the magic the PRL theme gave us in terms of activity.

Aumelodia has set out a sensible set of requirements a new theme needs not only to succeed for a few months, but to give us an identity for once in forever. Through many governments and coups, Osiris has always had Egypt, and it has always had a Pharaoh. Lazarus needs a culture and an identity that serves its community beyond the regime flavor of the month or year, something that binds us together as Lazarenes and can't be broken. It's something Osiris and Balder have had relatively clear-cut due to their namesakes- I think it's high time we get one of our own.

The key is keeping it general. Most of us in the Discord who talked about it agreed that this isn't just a changing of titles, and it shouldn't be too complex. The Delegate title would most likely be Basileus (or in Imki's case, Basileia or Basilissa), and the legislature would be called an Ecclesia. So those are some ideas to start. For the most part we want to keep it vague. We need our own regional identity, that we can develop organically with the help of cultural influence (such as Hellenic culture), instead of placing ourselves in an inflexible niche like corporations or space cults. I strongly support developing a Greek-inspired culture for Lazarus that can stand the test of time, and gladly volunteer my time and effort to making this an endeavor that will work for our region.

We... have that though? I thought we were all behind this corporate theme... thats why I wrote the damn law on it.

I'm really not a fan of an Ancient Greek theme. It feels like an ancient theme just because Osiris and Balder have one. I also thing that the theme wouldn't be engaging in the slightest, as Ancient Greece, without changing the structure, would be boring.

I think we could think about changing corporate to something like Laz'R'Us yeah :p

I would also support making the theme the official theme in some capacity, such as having the titles move over to the mandate instead of a bill where they are just alternate titles. Making it the official theme not just a "Can be used" thing... but I am also ok with what we have here staying. I don't see a need to change it honestly.

Ahh :( I like this theme. But I'll contribute the idea of a medieval kingdom theme if this is a serious consideration. Its more widely known compared to an Ancient Greece, which im not too familiar with.

I support the Ancient Greek theme.

Whether we go with that or not, I hope we will repeal the Corporate theme. The whole thing is sterile and out of place, even moreso than some of the other really bizarre themes Lazarus has adopted in the past. I could live with Maoism, Confucianism, and Magical Realms, but don't ask me to live with corporations. :p

Medieval kingdom Lazarus sounds fun, but I don't know if we should discard the corporate thing yet. Also, I second the idea that very few know much about ancient Greek stuff outside of mythology.

And in really wacky, out there thoughts: human body Lazarus! White Blood Cells for Defenders or Raiders, Delegate is Brain, Vice is Heart, Ministers are Hands or Feet, people are Organs. . . .

I am by no means serious about that last idea.

The key for us, what we need, is to be able to take our theme seriously. I don't want to plunge into yet another change that fits the contemporary moods and whims of the people- we were all set to create a gothic vampire theme before the discussion turned to this. It has to be permanent, it has to lay the foundations for our future, it has to give our region a backdrop for our culture.

treadwellia;5373 said:
And in really wacky, out there thoughts: human body Lazarus! White Blood Cells for Defenders or Raiders, Delegate is Brain, Vice is Heart, Ministers are Hands or Feet, people are Organs. . . .

I am by no means serious about that last idea.

Shame because I actually like that idea :p

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming around the idea that we might not want to have an official theme. Placing ourselves in a certain theme is bound to always be unsatisfactory to a solid chunk of the population- most people don't like LazCorp, and of them, they're all divided on what they want to replace it. I think in the long run, we may find more potential to develop our own, unique identity without shoehorning ourselves into a particular set of titles and culture that we may soon grow tired of- as with what happened to the HRL, the CU, the Realms, etc.

I would support legislation to give our titles respectable, but thematically neutral names. Things like legislature/congress, Delegate/Queen/Lord/Lady, High Court, etc. My first thought is that LazCorp should go. And as much as I dig the ancient Greek idea, and I do think we can make that work, I'm inclined to believe we'll end up better off in the long run if we develop it without an official rule enforcing it.

At the end of the day I don't really care what the theme is. Lazcorp is fun, though it feels to me like it works better as a meme and informal theme than an actual regional identity.

I generally think Lazarus has historically approached theming wrong. Stop trying to impose a strict theme from the top down where everything is already decided -- and let one evolve on its own from interactions within the community. Other regions have very loose theming -- while Laz tends to take it a bit too far.

Just my cents.

Arlo;5464 said:
At the end of the day I don't really care what the theme is. Lazcorp is fun, though it feels to me like it works better as a meme and informal theme than an actual regional identity.

I generally think Lazarus has historically approached theming wrong. Stop trying to impose a strict theme from the top down where everything is already decided -- and let one evolve on its own from interactions within the community. Other regions have very loose theming -- while Laz tends to take it a bit too far.

Just my cents.
Theming is only an issue when it changes the government functions, and all the themes thus far have just changed the titles. LazCorp is only corporate imagery and a little bit of roleplay if people want to, which is why Lazarus can afford to be apathetic on LazCorp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back