Please register to view all features

[Proposal] Procedural Rules of the Assembly Act

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feather
ƒ1,248
Nation
Chanku
So I figured I should introduce this here now, I was holding off, however given a different draft has been posted, here we go:
Title
1. This act is to be cited as the Procedural Rules of the Assembly Act

Legislative ProcedureConfirmation ProcedureImpeachment Procedure
8. Any member of the Assembly may, at any time, introduce a proposal Articles of Impeachment against the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Councilors, and/or any sitting Justice. The Articles of Impeachment must outline the reasons as to removal, in addition to evidence if possible. Upon the introduction the debate period specified in Section 2 of this act is to occur, although the debate period is non-waiviable. After the debate period a forty-eight hour window is to occur where a motion to extend debate or a motion to vote. After the forty-eight hour period if no motion has succeeded, the Speaker must open a vote on the proposal. If the proposal passes as required by the constitution, then the members that the Articles of Impeachment calls for the removal of are to be removed immediately. No position of the government that is stated within this section can be removed by any other procedure.

Recall Procedure
9. Any member of the Assembly may, at any time, introduce a proposal to remove any member of the Government not outlined in Section 8 of this document. Upon the introduction of such a proposal, a debate period is to occur as outlined in Section 2 of this act, except that the debate period can not be waived. After which the procedure found within Sections 3 and 4 of this document applies.

Motions
10. A Motion to Expidite can be made for matters of urgency, and the motion may only be made by the Speaker or by deputies of the Speaker. After which it must be seconded by two other, non-officer, members of the Assembly. Upon the passage of a motion, the proposal this occurred on proceeds immediately to a vote.
11. A Motion to Vote can be made by any member of the Assembly, and must be seconded by any other member of the Assembly, excepting the Speaker. Upon the passage of a motion, the proposal this occurred on proceeds immediately to a vote.
12. A Motion to Extend debate can be made by any member of the Assembly, and must be seconded by any other member of the Assembly. The motion must either state a period of time to extend the debate by, or else the motion extends debate for twenty-four hours. Upon debate being extended, an additional debate period is to occur for the period of time of the debate. Debate may not be extended for more than one week. If no discussion happens on a proposal for a period of forty-eight hours after a motion to extend debate, the ability to extend debate further is relinquished and the period of debate is to end. For matters of Confirmations and Appointments, the limit of debate extension is to be seventy-two hours.
13. In the event of Multiple Motions being presented, a member of the Assembly must state which motion they are seconding, or else their second is to be invalid.
14. In the event of Multiple Motions, the Motion that obtains its required number of seconds first passes, and any remaining motions automatically fail.

Duties of the Speaker

My criticisms:

1. The hours are varied and specific, making it inconsistent. Whilst I cannot lay blame for this, as I may have done so in my draft, they are very specific, and do not correspond with any regular cycle of the days. However irrelevant this effect may turn out to be, it will be confusing for no reason.

2. The voting period is far too long. A week? Why? This is fine for important proposals, such as amendments to the Mandate or a constitutional law, but for a regular law as well? I cannot see why, my apologies.

3. Why do we have separate processes to remove officials? It seems too complicated for little reason.

4. Why must the Speaker appoint a deputy, and why should the Assembly confirm? The office should be flexible. If the Speaker can handle the job, they don't need deputies. If the Speaker wants to hire and fire, they can do so. It is an administrative position, not the Cabinet.

5. It is very long and blocky for my taste, but my criticisms there perhaps are invalid, as a law is a law, even if it is long like this. I do suggest separating the sections so as to make it easier to read, and changing the format in favour of the Mandate's, as Cormac said in my draft.

Other than that, this draft is fine. Sorry if my criticisms are insufficient or outright false. Do take note and tell me if they are so.

Ryccia said:
1. The hours are varied and specific, making it inconsistent. Whilst I cannot lay blame for this, as I may have done so in my draft, they are very specific, and do not correspond with any regular cycle of the days. However irrelevant this effect may turn out to be, it will be confusing for no reason.
The hours should generally be in increments of 24, each a day, some times were less than that due to math errors, or me just fucking up when writing this. I have addressed some of the issues, and I will be working to fix the other ones.
2. The voting period is far too long. A week? Why? This is fine for important proposals, such as amendments to the Mandate or a constitutional law, but for a regular law as well? I cannot see why, my apologies.
Because, of two reasons:
3. Why do we have separate processes to remove officials? It seems too complicated for little reason.
4. Why must the Speaker appoint a deputy, and why should the Assembly confirm? The office should be flexible. If the Speaker can handle the job, they don't need deputies. If the Speaker wants to hire and fire, they can do so. It is an administrative position, not the Cabinet.
(14) The Assembly may provide for the appointment and removal of deputies to the Assembly Speaker by law or through its procedural rules.
5. It is very long and blocky for my taste, but my criticisms there perhaps are invalid, as a law is a law, even if it is long like this. I do suggest separating the sections so as to make it easier to read, and changing the format in favour of the Mandate's, as Cormac said in my draft.
The formatting is actually more similar to the Mandate's than yours was. The formatting is different, but is a simplified version, to allow for easier drafting of laws.

13. A Motion to Table can be made by any member of the Assembly, and must be seconded by five other members of the Assembly. Upon passing the consideration of a proposal ends, and the proposal is blocked from being re-introduced for a period of two weeks.
No.
You could just table an impeachment procedure with five people conspiring to.
Furthermore, the requirement for all is static, which isn't great.
6 tabling in a voter pool of 60 means that you could block any proposal with just 10% of all voters- which would be far from enough in matters for Delegate removal if it would come to vote, even... It means that who comes first, can potentially decide what happens... which is a bad policy for legislative processes.

Mysterious Player said:
Chanku said:
Old Hope said:
13. A Motion to Table can be made by any member of the Assembly, and must be seconded by five other members of the Assembly. Upon passing the consideration of a proposal ends, and the proposal is blocked from being re-introduced for a period of two weeks.

I have moved this proposal to the main Assembly forum, as I don't believe there is anything sensitive here to warrant secrecy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back