Welcome to Lazarus

Please register to view all features

Embassy of the North Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feather
ƒ1,931
2pqrok8.png

Welcome to the North Pacific's Embassy in Lazarus!
The North Pacific Leadership

Delegate: MadJack
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Praeceps

Ambassadors

The North Pacific to Lazarus:
Lazarus - The North Pacific: Wang Yao
Please post updates as new threads. This post will be edited as needed. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or a forum administrator.

Last edited by a moderator:
NBz8KoE.png

Statement from the North Pacific Government

Pursuant to recent discussions regarding diplomatic recognition, the North Pacific wishes to clarify that it recognizes the Corporation of Lazarus (LazCorp) as the legal government of Lazarus. As always, our ambassador is available to facilitate diplomatic exchange between our regions, and we would like to invite you once again to contact them for anything you may need to ask or for any information you may wish to share.

YzYxA9p.png

Pallaith, Delegate of the North Pacific

del_seal.png
Statement Regarding Invasion of Stargate

During major update on March 10, forces led by The Democratic Republic invaded Stargate. The NPA mustered a force to retake the region the following update and the rightful delegate Casl was returned to the delegacy. Twenty of our finest, led by Minister of Defense Darcania, came to Stargate's aid during the operation, which has just concluded.
The North Pacific has a long and cherished relationship with our friend and ally Stargate, and we will always come to its aid when needed. As is evidenced by the participation of McMasterdonia, who returned to active duty after many years, we will always go the extra mile to ensure our friends are safe, and will act immediately regardless of who tests them or what their motivation may be. We extend our best wishes to the people of Stargate and their continued security, and congratulate the NPA for a swift and successful mission.

Pallaith
Delegate of The North Pacific

f4UEI8F.png

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]
sG8YGQy.png
Campus News[/font]

by Marcus Antonius, Chancellor of The North Pacific University
[/hr]​

The North Pacific University Has A New Chancellor

yceL6vTQJhQ.jpg

Chancellor Marcus Antonius

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]On March 9 2019 I took on the mantle of Chancellor of The North Pacific University[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I would like to thank St. George The Notorious Mad Jack for his hard work and efforts as chancellor within these hallowed halls of the university and for personally recommending me to take up this honorable position.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Within the university there have been fits of activity that have subsided almost as soon as they have begun, my efforts included. I am grateful that there are still forum members that contribute to our knowledge database. It is my intention to try and maintain and encourage their efforts.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I have a great personal passion for history and the arts. This is reflected in my humble submitted efforts. That aside we must remember that the university was created for bringing education and knowledge of NationStates and The North Pacific to the populace of the region. I am aware that our Delegate, Ghost Pallaith, has a vision of developing the University. As chancellor, I shall endeavor to bring about his vision. I would be interested to hear feedback and ideas on what is needed to make this vision become a reality.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]One of my first acts as Chancellor was to appoint St. George The Notorious Mad Jack and Prydania Prydania as my Vice-Chancellors. They will be the first members of the University Committee. I will be seeking further members as my tenure continues.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I have also commissioned a Coat of Arms for the University.[/font]

COA5.png

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I would take this opportunity to thank all who have supported the University in the past and appeal to them to continue to do so. I would also appeal to any budding writers out there, who have lectures or articles they would like to share in the University to get in touch with myself Ethnon, The Notorious Mad Jack or Prydania.You will find The North Pacific University here https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/forum/3038622/ so please, come and visit us.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I have a real passion for the university to become a shining beacon in the minds and lives of the nations of The North Pacific, I hope you will find this too.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]"in victoria!" (To Success!)[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]MARCVS ANTONIVS[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Chancellor of The North Pacific University[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Ethnon[/font]

sG8YGQy.png
Judiciary Election Results

[align=right]by BMWSurfer, Acting Minister of Communications[/hr]​

4123999205_20b7fccda8_b.jpg

Bootsie and friends celebrate victory in the elections and form an "Eluvatar"

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Eluvatar[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]In his campaign, Eluvatar drew from his extensive experience going back to 2006, including being delegate of TNP and writing many of her laws. Eluvatar, in an exchange with McMasterdonia, did an in depth analysis of the fictional hearing found in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Eluvatar also defended the length of time it takes for the courts to conduct reviews, saying that procedural correctness must be followed. He did, however, say that the courts should take suggestions on how to better do this.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Lord Lore[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bootsie[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bootsie, a longtime security councilor and former Justice, made communication the center of his platform. He believes that the court should communicate with the people better. When asked about review lengths, Bootsie said that reviews should be optimized to take as little time as possible, while still maintaining the integrity of the process.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Dinoium[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Dinoium had by far the most complex and involved platform of all the candidates. His campaign was based around a more active judiciary. He proposed creating several programs to achieve this goal, including the creation of an appointed court staff and a joint program with the Attorney Generals office. He also promised that he would review all Regional Assembly legislation to ensure their legality.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Romanoffia[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]King SillyString[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]SillyString, a longtime member of TNP and justice, ran on a platform of precedence. In her campaign post, she emphasized a new policy that was adopted by the courts last term. She, like Eluvatar, defended the length of time taken by the courts for reviews. When asked about the lack of new faces on the bench, she said that the courts were not suited to newer players.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Janus[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Janus, also known as isimud, posted a late campaign thread that focused mainly on his history and background as a part of TNP.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]King SillyString, Eluvatar, and Bootsie won the election.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Discussion[/font]

sG8YGQy.png
NPA Bulletin

by Bobberino, Minister of Defense

proxy.php

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]The North Pacific Army swept through February and March in fashionable terms. The soldiers went from region to region, sweeping clean of native scum; or went from region to region, sweeping clean raider scum and reinstating native unity, depending on the direction that former Minister of Defense Darcania's floof flowed in the wind that particular day.[/font]

titletextimage.img.jpg

Warrant Officer Rank Tab

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Important news; the NPA passed a resolution proposed by then-MoD Darcania to institute a new rank, Warrant Officer. The officer test no longer could fulfill the standards of the draggo, who regularly orders his soldiers into 40-tags to "test their switching speed." and thus the Warrant Officer rank allows the MoD to hold rightful officers hostage until either they are burnt out to oblivion, or the oligarchy permits the torture to stop. Yet another power grab by the reckless and harsh policies of the oligarchy while the people are left behind yet again.[/font]

1411-game-of-thrones__game_of_thrones_battle_of_winterfell.jpg

NPA forces at The Battle of WinterFell

gunny-full-metal.jpg
Bobberino, the new Minister of Defense, in discussion with his staff.

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]The day this was due, Bob became MoD. So instead of doing this on time like a good DM of Comms would, Bob decided to write this blurb. And before Bob is attacked and dragged away by the oligarchy, he'd like you to know that ----- muffled screams ----- Everything is fine and under control in the NPA. O7[/font]

sG8YGQy.png
Spotlight #17: Interview With BMWSurfer

by Bobberino, Deputy Minister of Communications

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Views in this interview may not reflect the views of TNP's government[/font]

4570323-U08224367202HnD-400x200.vpx

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer is surprised and caught, by Bobberino, for an interview.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Welcome to The Spotlight, BMW! I am excited you were able to take part in this edition.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer:

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: So let's start with your beginnings - how did you first join NS?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Oh, that sounds interesting. Was that in a UCR of his? Or simply his nation?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Gotcha. So what brought you to the shores of The North Pacific?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: Well, I originally founded in The South Pacific, and hopped around UCRs for a while, but decided joining the biggest region would allow me to figure out the game before moving to a smaller region with more responsibilities. I liked this region so much that I decided to stay.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: I actually ended up similarly - I just founded in TNP and stayed. How'd you get involved with TNP's gov?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: Well, after I joined, I spent a few months joining and participating in all of the various Ministries and in The North Pacific Army. I eventually found my niche, which was World Assembly Affairs. Eventually, I became a deputy there and was very dedicated to that position. This gave me name recognition, and eventually got me hired as Minister of Home Affairs.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: That makes sense; again, I draw similarities to myself there. What has been your favorite position thus far?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: I'd say Fiji has me working, as do you! Lol Where do you foresee yourself in TNP in a year?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: Well, I see myself still serving my region in whatever way I can.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Do you see another Delegacy run? Y'all and your endorsements SMH. So what made you stick in NS? What do you like most about it?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: Well, for me its the people. I have met so many great people on NS and that has been the reason I stay.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Definitely; we got a lot of good eggs in NS. Very interesting to learn about the host of personalities that take part in such a niched game.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: For sure! It is interesting how borders dissolve and national identities become irrelevant on the internet, and on NS especially.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Definitely. Speaking of, is there one positive memory that sticks out in your mind in terms of your NS career?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: The first time I was able to successfully plan and organize a defensive operation in the NPA, and the night I became an officer. I just remember thinking for really the first time in my NS career, "I got this. I know what i'm doing."[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: My officer test stuck out to me too, yeah! What advice would you give to TNP's new folk?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: I would say: jump in! Get as involved as possible and be as outgoing as possible. Once you find your niche, you can start focusing on that, but having the experience of the various aspects of the region is priceless.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Awesome stuff and true advice. Who do you look up to in TNP? Who are your mentors or trusted friends?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: The two people I most look up to here are El Fiji Grande and Deropia. Deropia was my first boss and a true mentor to me. I wouldn't be here without him. Fiji is one of my most trusted advisers.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: I miss Dero. Great dude and a trusted friend. I wish him well wherever he is. Is there anything you're never asked you feel you should be?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: I don't think so.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Is there anything you'd like to be remembered by? Not expecting you to leave, but in case you pull a Dero. (Cries)[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: I would like to be remembered as an honest, generally good person. Nothing fancy. (sticks out tongue)[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: I'd prefer to be remembered as the eccentric, hardworking memer. Just who I am.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: And that you will be, bob. (sticks out tongue)[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: You're the groundhog I fed the other day right? Those carrots were poisoned.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: Uhhh.... I don't feel so good... *BMWSurfer left the channel*[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Victory is mine![/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: Ha! ha![/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Is there anything else you'd want to add?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BMWSurfer: Nope. Thank you for your time![/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino: Likewise! Cheers![/font]

sG8YGQy.png
Regional Assembly Highlights

by Artemis, Speaker of the Regional Assembly

Regional Assembly March 2019

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Speaker of The Regional Assembly: Artemis[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Deputy Speakers of The Regional Assembly: Bobberino[/font]

5989fc4eefe3df1f008b48b9-750-563.png

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Artemis looks on at events in the Regional Assembly[/font]

Vote

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Passed[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif] Amendment to the NPA Doctrine, put forward by Knightblood.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Status: Passed[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Summary: Previously the Legal Code of the North Pacific recognized the legal name of the military of TNP as the North Pacific Armed Forces (NPAF). Knightblood proposed amending Chapter 8 of the Legal Code to rename the military as its commonly known name, The North Pacific Army (NPA).[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Great Bights Mum[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Gladio[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Zaz[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Owenstacey[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]artiza[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Pallaith[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Sil Dorsett[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Brendog[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Siwale[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]TlomzKrano[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]mcmasterdonia[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]BluieGamer[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Syrixia[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Sanjurika[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]mtboy66[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Knightblood[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Haor Chall[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Yuno[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Dreadton[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Severisen[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Votes Opposed (4)[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]QuietDad[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Dinoium[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Bobberino[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]St George[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Abstentions (6)[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Romanoffia[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Artemis[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]bowloftoast[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Koopa103[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Darcania[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Golden York[/font]

[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Current Business[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif] Vice Delegate Check Efficiency Bill, put forward by Sil Dorsett.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Status: In Discussion[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif] The Ministerial Ethics Law, put forward by Wonderess.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Summary: A proposal to establish a Mandatory Ministry that will be charged with ethical affairs of the government of TNP. The purpose of this office will be to decrease corruption in the regional government by advising the Delegate on issues regarding ethics and producing public reports of government activity that will be available to the citizens of the region. This bill continues to be under discussion.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif] Recall Reform Act, put forward by Romanoffia.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Summary: A discussion brought forward to add specific instances that a government official of TNP can be recalled by the Regional Assembly. Currently, the Regional Assembly can recall any official for any reason with a 2/3rds majority vote. While no specific changes have been proposed, the thought process is to prevent a recall of an official unless a specific violation of a specific law or legal requirement of position is cited. The Regional Assembly would still be required to meet a 2/3rds majority to recall an official. This bill continues to be discussed before the Regional Assembly.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif] Making sense of who are government officials, put forward by Haor Chall.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Summary: A discussion started to properly identify the role that certain officials, primarily Deputy Ministers have as government officials. The debate has led to a proposed constitutional amendment to Article 7 and amendments to Chapter 6 and 7 of the Legal Code.[/font]

sG8YGQy.png
World Assembly Digest

by Marcus Antonius, Deputy Minister of Communications

ga.jpg

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]General Assembly[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Improving the world one resolution at a time.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Status: Failed[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Delegate's Vote: Against[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (World): For: 4088 Against: 11740[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (TNP): For: 128 Against: 457 Percentage of WA nations voting: 40.2%[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Recommendation:

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]In conclusion and hopes for additional legislation to be introduced, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommended a vote Against this repeal.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (World): For: 3230 Against: 12698[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (TNP): For: 61 Against: 521 Percentage of WA nations voting: 40.5%[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Recommendation: This repeal focuses on the issue of the word "should", and how the interpretation of its application may affect compliance in member nations. The use of "should" allows some optionality in how member nation can print labels for the products covered by the proposal, which further allows nations to use the appropriate language that would most benefit certain communities. As such,the intent of GAR 459 was never to create overbearing regulation on member nations. In the event warning labels are printed in a language that would be ineffective and deliberately avoid the intended effects of this proposal, member nations would still be required to educate smokers and non-smokers alike on the dangers of tobacco and the greater safety of electronic cigarettes as an alternative. Barring the possible consequences of nations applying this resolution unfaithfully, this resolution will still benefit the majority of NS communities and ultimately achieve what it set out to do.For these reasons,[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against this proposal.[/font]

"The Cloning Conventions"

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (World): For: 6001 Against: 9185[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (TNP): For: 131 Against: 429 Percentage of WA nations voting: 38.8%[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Recommendation: This resolution attempts to deal with the cloning of organisms and the legal landscape surrounding that process. Unfortunately, there are several concerning issues that arise from its mandates. The proposal attempts to limit the cloning of prenatal sapient organisms without a direct consent from the organism which couldn't possibly be provided. Further, there is no allowance for a parent or legal guardian to give that consent on behalf of the organism, regardless of its viability. Given that these organisms lack the capacity for cognizance or feeling, due to low development, this prohibition places unnecessary limitations on medical research, and specifically in the creation of cloned organisms for the beneficial harvest of stem cells. This resolution, in clause 5, permits the cloning of organs or like unfeeling organisms from people. It does not include a requirement making that cloning contingent on consent. Insofar as the proposal permits people to have their genetic material harvested without their consent, it may be in violation of previously passed resolutions.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]In accordance with the reasoning above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against this proposal.[/font]

sc.jpg

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Security Council[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Spreading interregional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.[/font]

"Condemn Civil Defence Siren"

Delegate's Vote: Against

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (World): For: 2016 Against: 13366[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (TNP): For: 46 Against: 497 Percentage of WA nations voting: 37.7%[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Recommendation: The Ministry of WA Affairs cannot decide if we should be dumbfounded or impressed. It is incredible that the collective fragility of CoCD's egos was able to produce such a profound, instantly back-firing garbage fire. Not only was there actual monetary investment in a campaign to support the proposal, but there was also an apparent lack of spellcheck. This concoction of utter incompetence has led to the most impressive aspect of this proposal, the record for the quickest discarded proposal in SC history.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recognizes that the vote now no longer matters but recommends a vote Against regardless. Furthermore, we award you zero points and may the Civil Defence Siren have mercy on your souls.[/font]

"Commend Severisen"

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Status: Passed[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Delegate's Vote: For[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (World): For: 11236 Against: 3701[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Final Vote (TNP): For: 516 Against: 37 Percentage of WA nations voting: 38.3%[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Recommendation: This commendation is generally well written and properly exemplifies the achievements and contributions of Severisen to the communities he has spent time with and the greater NS community. Amoung things not mentioned for whatever reason, Severisen has also been active in and contributed to The North Pacific during different times in his NS career. Furthermore, it can be found that Severisen is widely acknowledged as being 'good people', and the ability to maintain that overall impression among a wide cross-section of one's peers, after nearly a decade-and-a-half, is a testament to the quality of their character. Seeing this long standing reputation and his previous contributions, Severisen is quite deserving of this commendation.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]In accordance with reasoning presented above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For this commendation.[/font]

The North Star: Lighting The Way To The Truth

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Publisher: Pallaith :: Executive Editor: BMWSurfer :: Managing Editor: Marcus Antonius[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]The North Star is produced by the Ministry of Communications on behalf of the Government of The North Pacific and is distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs externally and the Ministry of Home Affairs internally. Except where otherwise indicated, all content represents the views of the Government of The North Pacific.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Index of Issues[/font]
[/align][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr]

TDtxVWr.png

The North Pacific is pleased to have supported the transition of the delegacy of Lazarus from outgoing Chief Executive Officer Imkiville (Imki) to incoming Chief Executive Officer Treadwella (Tubbius).

The North Pacific Army has completed its mission, which involved a deployment of 16 nations in support of this transition. The North Pacific would like to thank Imki for her service as Delegate of Lazarus and for her conscientious work in restoring unity and stability to Lazarus. Likewise, The North Pacific sends our congratulations to Tubbius and we wish him the very best as he takes on this new role.

Kind regards,

Pallaith

Thank you for assisting us here! The move here is much appreciated!

Thanks for sharing The North Star with us Malphe. I hope TNP's University thing works out! That's a super cool idea although of course it takes a lot of attention and effort.

NOTE: so annoying. Okay so first spoiler is the text (missing the "World, Assemble" essay by ghost because I had to fit it into the character limit), second is images, images are missing a page due to technical difficulties but you should be able to find the missing page in the text and the world assemble essay in the images. There's also some formatting issues I'm just straight up way too tired to fix. Sorry for lack of readability x.x
IeZiY2Rb_o.png
[size=undefined]

Editor's Note[/size]

by El Fiji Grande, Minister of Communications
[size=undefined]

Issue XXVIII of The Northern Lights was intended from the beginning to be WA-themed, and seeks to accompany the WA Symposium hosted by The North Pacific a few days ago. This Issue includes a host of authors from around the NS world discussing their views on the WA. It is our hope that The Northern Lights becomes a recognized place to discuss issues that confront NS as a whole. As always, no views espoused in this or future Issues represent the official TNP government stance unless otherwise stated.

El Fiji Grande
TNP Minister of Communications[/size]

[size=undefined]
WA Blocs: When Will We See a New One?[/size]

by Salvarity, ex-Legatus Prefect of the Empire of Mare Nostrum
The ILCWALLSIEGEIntroDiplomacy MechanicsWALL Plays NiceConclusion
by Imperium Anglorum, Delegate of Europe

by BMWSurfer, Minister of Home Affairs

by bowloftoast, Deputy Minister of WA Affairs

by Funkadelia

by Saint Mark (Halo), Delegate of The West Pacific

by Tlomz, Minister of WA Affairs

by Mikeswill, Delegate of NationStates

The Northern Lights: Beauty in Truth
Publisher: Pallaith (Ghost) :: Executive Editor: El Fiji Grande :: Managing Editor: BMWSurfer

The Northern Lights is produced by the Ministry of Communications on behalf of the Government of The North Pacific and distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Except where otherwise indicated, all content represents the views of the Government of The North Pacific.
[size=undefined]
rdCSwZL.png
0uy7doE.png
FlxRSf4.png
HdOg4jW.png
QkwG9OD.png
K1PDu79.png
MMbQAHU.png
Jcjc3kh.png
OgT9wqi.png
4DP8WkZ.png
cVIk4jJ.png
ukvKPyF.png
ndEiS5W.png
0zSGOH9.png
1PBeNlT.png
hsVRAFH.png
S5BvkSi.png
gOIEau8.png
nau4mtS.png
DkxCMBe.png
FB4RabI.png
[/size]

Sorry about the technical difficulties, that's a really amazing issue!

I found Salv's article interesting. =P WALL is taking over the world yikes but not evilly so also way lame u.u

<3

We are aware that not everyone is equally appreciative of image-based NS newspapers. As such, we've included the standard format mostly plain-text version of the newspaper in the spoiler below. We hope you enjoy reading this month's issue! If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions, feel free to telegram the current TNP Minister of Communications El Fiji Grande or Minister of Culture Prydania.
9brILVO.png

=7Editor's Note
This is the first Issue of the Roleplay Reel (RPR), a joint publication by The North Pacific's Ministries of Communications and Culture. This magazine is designed to show off TNP's roleplay community to the NS world, and to highlight the interesting characters, nations, and worlds that roleplayers here have put so much effort into creating. What follows are a series of showcases that draw attention to roleplays worth reading. We hope you enjoy a closer look at all the stories being told, and hope it inspires you to become a part of this community if you aren't already.
The Editors of the Roleplay Reel
El Fiji Grande, Syrixia, MadJack, and Prydania

=7A Look at For The King, To Valhalla: A Forum-Based Roleplay and Character Study
by Prydania, Minister of Culture and RP Moderator
by Wonderessby SalgadoWhat did you first expect from this RP?
At first, I thought it would be a short lived meeting between two queens.
Okay. And what can you say about how it turned out?Do you truly enjoy it?If you and he were to work together again on a similar or different project, would you?Alright. So, we are almost done with the interview, what would you like to say to our readers about one on one roleplays like this one?Thanks. That was a wonderful interview."It was wonderful to play with Ryn. I didn't even expect this RP to lead not only to a thriving In-Character friendship but also an Out-of-Character partnership."

Ever since the two resumed the roleplay just a few days ago, so much warmth has been exchanged between the two players. In both private and in public, in their own company so shared or in the company of many others, both friend and stranger, the two writers have closely tied themselves to the other without a hint of coldness or hesitation.

In the end, the roleplay continues between the two. The current arc is situated around Empress Tiara attempting to bring back Queen Natalia to the Rynese Empire after a serious misunderstanding.

=7Federalist Party Swept into Mensedag in Stunning Repudiation of the Establishment
by Syrixia
April 7, 2019, NIDAROS -Set Valland Forward Again.?

=7Rump, Tony Scheduled for Duel at Dawn
by Deerfenland
(Freetown, SL)The Roleplay Reel: Showing the Beauty of Storytelling
Publisher: Pallaith (Ghost) :: Executive Editors: El Fiji Grande, Syrixia, MadJack, and Prydania

The Roleplay Reel is produced by the Ministries of Communications and Culture on behalf of the RP Community of The North Pacific.
QIWLIly.png
Q9SJd30.png
IWWx7Zw.png
eD6J16n.png
alpDbGg.png
FI3VdgC.png
6VfFiDe.png
wsfALjG.png
Re6DIdV.png
V1Mb4sb.png
cmwqhvo.png
V1Mdrht.png
KuwUMs7.png
[/quote]

Wow, that is so cool! I love seeing all the different types of role-play people are doing in TNP! Role-play variety is definitely something I think we're trying to work towards in Lazarus and it's inspiring to see the results from a region that already has that going strong.

Also of course, congratulations to El Fiji Grande. :)

Due to RL circumstances, Malphe has resigned from most of his posts within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, so I will be taking over as Ambassador. I am also a new Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, again replacing Malphe.

f4UEI8F.png
[/align]

sG8YGQy.png
Bravado's not my usual game

but here, I'll try it just the same.

I've been in this region for thirteen years,

let's better hope you can lend me your ears.

We've danced this dance many a time,

a couple of times, even, in rhyme,

but every time I ask for your vote

is never the time to mumble by rote.

From ancient Athens comes the name

for the rite we make the game.

The voice of the people may be odd

of all the things to make a god,

But Winston had it right, I say,

when saying it's the least worst way.

There's majesty and grandeur, see,

in writing down your vote for me.

Even if you vote abstain,

your ballot disfavoring my campaign,

Your participation in our game

will make me happy all the same.

I've voted, read, campaigned, for years

and yet will scream, to deafen ears:

VOTE!
Lord Lore: Lore has been in TNP for just under 5 years. He has been a Justice before and is a serving Security Councillor. He believes himself to be a trustworthy person. He doesn't believe that making campaign promises is smart for a Court Justice and instead he just provided us his history in the region as a benchmark for why he should be a Justice. He has a fairly robust knowledge of TNP law and Precedent and is very actively aware of the need to be careful when setting Precedent. He is very active in his roles as Cartographer for Eras on the forum and as Security Councillor and he doesn't believe that Justice is outside of his current workload.

The Vote

Due to Lady Raven Wing, losing their citizenship the vote was closed with a new round of voting beginning immediately. At the time of the suspension of voting, Lady Raven Wing was in 5th place with 16 votes. The top three positions were held by Eluvatar, Lord Lore and Dreadton respectively. The main beneficiary of the withdrawal of Lady Raven Wing was Dreadton, gaining an extra 5 votes. Surprisingly Gurundu lost 6 votes, Lord Lore lost 5 votes and Dinoium lost 3 votes. This may have been due to voters not returning.

The final vote is shown below.

proxy.php

The Winners

s8y6lv0e2d411.jpg
Elu was delighted at hearing he came top in the polls[/align]

Eluvatar, Dreadton and Lord Lore won the election and are now TNP Justices. Congratulations to them and all who took part.

Conclusion
sG8YGQy.png
BquQOG8.png
Leadership

Minister of Defense (MoD): General Bobberino

Deputy Ministers of Defense (DMoDs):

Colonel
Knightblood and Colonel Koopa[/align]

18dl0c.jpg
sG8YGQy.png
Regional Assembly June 2019

Speaker of The Regional Assembly: Artemis

Deputy Speakers of The Regional Assembly: Funkadelia and BrendogVote

Passed

Security Council Member Standards put forward by Praetor.

Status: At VoteResults: 34 Ayes, 0 Nays, and 3 Abstentions.

Confirmation of Lord Lore and Robespierre as Election Commissioners put forward by Speaker Artemis.

Summary: The Delegate, El Fiji Grande, appointed members of the Election Commission Lord Lore and Robespierre to serve for six months as Election Commissioners. The debate was quick as many felt that these individuals both wielded enough experience to supervise elections in the North Pacific.

Results: Lord Lore - 21 Ayes, 1 Nays, and 2 Abstention.

Robespierre - 23 Ayes, 0 Nay, and 1 Abstention.

Instant Runoff Election Bill, put forward by Gorundu.

Summary: An amendment to the way that elections are run in the North Pacific. This bill introduces the idea of implementing an instant runoff voting system for the General Elections.

Results: 15 Ayes, 7 Nays, and 3 Abstentions.

Current Business

Lessening Repeating Work (L.R.W.) Bill, put forward by Praetor.

01ZMaQA.png
YnLYZLb.jpg
Affordable Transgender Hormone Therapy

Delegate's Vote: For

Final Vote (World): For: 10,855 Against: 2,859

Final Vote (TNP): For: 369 Against: 146 Percentage of WA nations voting: 38.51[/align]

Recommendation:Prohibit Private Prisons

Final Vote (World): For: 8,576 Against: 6,401

Final Vote (TNP): For: 245 Against: 257 Percentage of WA nations voting: 38.73[/align]

RecommendationProtecting Personal Privacy

Final Vote (World): For: 6,173 Against: 7,954

Final Vote (TNP): For: 179 Against: 327 Percentage of WA nations voting: 39.46[/align]

Recommendation: Protecting Personal Privacy, while well intending, gets caught up in its own over-worded clauses and ultra specific definitions. The proposal denies governments the ability to view the data unless specific situations occur, which could cause governments to take larger action than realistically needed in order to view items pertinent to national security and gross crimes before an investigation could be opened. The definition of 'user' is so specific that there is not an easily discernible definition to 'non-user' seeing that it is not defined. This error makes Clause 3, sections 2 and 4 difficult to enforce. Clause 3, section 4 also allows for people to remove evidence of their specific person ever interacting with an organization unless 'there is a clear and compelling safety or disciplinary reason to do otherwise such as loans or criminal records'. This becomes an issue because there is no way to determine if such information could be used in the future for criminal or civil proceedings without those proceedings taking place, thus putting these organizations in a state of limbo. Additionally, Clause 4 allows organizations to prohibit a person from using services if they do not consent to their data being collected, however does not address what happens if a user provides falsified data. Furthermore, Clause 5, section 1 seems unclear if the resolution wants member nations to grant private individuals the ability to go after organizations who do not follow the resolution or if the WA member nation itself must take action against organizations who do not follow the resolution.

In accordance with the reasoning above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote AgainstPreventing Unjust Warfare

MSkSvav.jpg
Commend The Rejected Realms

Final Vote (World): For: 2,568 Against: 10,668

Final Vote (TNP): For: 59 Against: 411 Percentage of WA nations voting: 35.39%[/align]

Recommendation: Commend TRR is the sixth attempt by this author at submitting this proposal. While this proposal has improved somewhat over its earlier iterations, it is still lacking. Unfortunately, there is a distinct lack of appropriate focus on TRR and their history. Of the solid arguments it possesses, it never goes into extensive detail and leaves the reader with little understanding. This is combined with awkward syntax and occasional subtle inaccuracies which cause it to appear as an unfinished draft at best. Furthermore, the author has seemed fairly reluctant to receive and apply criticism as well as perform edits and redrafts.

While believing that TRR is a very commendable region with countless contributions to the greater NS community, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs must recommend a vote againstCommend Auralia

Final Vote (World): For: 3,443 Against: 9,637

Final Vote (TNP): For: 67 Against: 402 Percentage of WA nations voting: 37.65%[/align]

Recommendation:Condemn Kyrusia

Delegate's Vote: AgainstThe North Star: Lighting The Way To The Truth

Publisher: El Fiji Grande :: Executive Editor: Pallaith :: Managing Editor: Marcus Antonius

The North Star is produced by the Ministry of Communications on behalf of the Government of The North Pacific and is distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs externally and the Ministry of Home Affairs internally. Except where otherwise indicated, all content represents the views of the Government of The North Pacific.

Index of Issues

f4UEI8F.png
sG8YGQy.png
by Owenstacey, Deputy Minister of Foreign AffairsOwenstacey: Good evening, I am joined by Minister of Foreign Affairs McMasterdonia. Welcome to the Spotlight, how are you?

McMasterdonia: I am good thanks Owen, thank you for reaching out to me for this interview.

OwenstaceyMcMasterdonia: I was encouraged to join NationStates by a friend of mine at university who had described to me how the issues worked in general details. I was intrigued by the idea of a nation simulator, so I decided to join. I was first spawned in The North Pacific and relatively quickly got involved in the community on the regional message board.

In terms of my wider involvement on the forum, I tried to join when Delegate Grosseschnauzer announced that they would be retiring as Delegate and that elections would be held. I was initially denied entry for failing an admin security check. From memory, I was using one of those usb internet devices and Eluvatar flagged me due to how often my IP had been changing.

In The North Pacific at that time it was a great period of change and tumultuous challenges. Blue Wolf II had won the Delegate election and had defeated, I suppose, the establishment candidate in an upset win. Romanoffia had been very active on the regional message board at that time and essentially reminded us that decisions were made by those who show up. If we wanted to improve the game and region, we had to make our voices heard. So I answered that call.

Owenstacey: That must have been an interesting time to be a part of TNP, you've been in Nationstates for a while now, how much do you think NS has changed with regards to regions and how they work together?

McMasterdoniaOwenstacey: So things are quite different and a lot more complex than it was back when you first started. You were delegate of TNP for a while, so what would you say was the biggest impact you made as Delegate?

McMasterdonia: I think my first few terms of government as Delegate of The North Pacific were transformative. It needs to be said that when I first came to power, The North Pacific had only had a full cabinet for possibly two terms, and even then, it was not functional most of the time. The Government was for a large part in disarray and prone to inactivity at crucial junctures.

One of my first tasks was to restore faith in elected officials and to get the wheels of government working again. I worked extremely hard to establish a well oiled government machine, one that delivered for all aspects of our community. I think it was truly a transformative time. The North Pacific made a significant shift into a highly efficient and transparent operation, one that really focused on the development of our internal culture, the cultivation of external allies and supporters, and took meaningful steps to take our place in the world.

I think that my efforts in that regard assisted our community at that time and since then, to continue to have very high expectations of our elected officials; as well as an expectation of accessibility and transparency on the part of government.

Owenstacey: I definitely think that we have come to have a very high expectation of elected officials, finally, have you got any advice to people starting out in NS on how to be successful and have a long career like yours has been?

McMasterdoniaOwenstacey: I think that is some very good advice that all members both new and old can learn from, and that is it for this interview, thank you for taking some time to do this interview. It's been good to learn something from someone with your experience

McMasterdonia
sG8YGQy.png
by Robespierre, Minister of Home Affairs
proxy.php

Leadership

Minister of Defense (MoD): General Koopa

Deputy Ministers of Defense (DMoDs):

VACANT
proxy.php

NPA soldiers arrive on the shores of the South Pacific in eager fashion, ready to answer the call of their ally and assist in their neighbour's Delegacy transition
Private Federalania was promoted to Private First Class

Private Gorundu was promoted to Private First Class

Private Inven was promoted to Private First Class

Private Somniaureus was promoted to Private First Class

Private TheEmiritus was promoted to Private First Class

Sergeant Trondstorm was promoted to Warrant Officer

DMoD Koopa was appointed as MoD (General)
sG8YGQy.png
by Artemis, Speaker of the Regional AssemblyRegional Assembly August 2019

Speaker of The Regional Assembly: Artemis

Deputy Speakers of The Regional Assembly: Brendog

Vote

Vice Delegate Check Efficiency Bill put forward by Sil Dorsett.

Summary: The Vice Delegate Check Efficiency Bill changed the time allotted to the Vice Delegate to process security checks for citizenship applications. The original time was set to 3 days. This bill allowed the vice delegate an additional 4 days bringing the total time to 7 days to process a citizenship application.

Results: 26 Ayes, 0 Nays, and 1 Abstention.

The Vexillum Billum put forward by Darcania.

Summary: The Vexillum Billum is a bill currently at a vote in the Regional Assembly aimed at changing the regional flag of the North Pacific. The proposed change removes the Coat of Arms of the North Pacific and changes a number of the elements. The proposed flag can be viewed here.

Current Business

Lessening Repeating Work (L.R.W.) Bill, put forward by Praetor.

Status: In DiscussionFlag Usage Act put forward by Gorundu.

Summary: The Flag Usage Act is a proposal that would make the use of the Official Flag of the North Pacific illegal to use by nations in written statements and dispatches. This is aimed to prevent dispatches and statements produced from being seen as legitimate statements endorsed by the government of the North Pacific.

The Better Banner Bill put forward by Bootsie.

Status: In DiscussionPeace Terms Acceptance Amendment put forward by IkeaRike.

sG8YGQy.png
by Gorundu, World Assembly Correspondent
YnLYZLb.jpg

General Assembly

Improving the world one resolution at a timePreventing Unjust Warfare

Delegate's vote: Against

Final vote (World): For - 2917; Against - 10106

Final vote (TNP): For - 84; Against - 411; Percentage of WA nations voting: 38.73%

Recommendation: The proposal, while well meaning, is hampered by various holes and unachievable standards. Namely, Clause 2.1.1 relies on 'undeniable and concrete evidence' which is not easily obtainable if possible at all, especially in situations where bad faith and third party actors are excepted to be involved but proof is not totally present. Additionally, clause 2.1.3 appears to be miswritten as it never fully clarifies that nondomestic forces engaging the local nonstate actor would be required to satisfy this however domestic forces engaging on a local nonstate actor would not need to satisfy this requirement as it would not be transnational. Furthermore, clause 2.3 becomes problematic as a nation's predictions may not reflect reality and the results of a transnational conflict can vary greatly between predicted result and actual result, especially in scenarios where a multitude of factors for this decision are unknown or only generally specified.

In accordance with the above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against this proposal.
Treatment of the Deceased

Final vote (World): For - 1280; Against - 11426

Final vote (TNP): For - 47; Against - 449; Percentage of WA nations voting: 38.72%
[/align]

Recommendation: Treatment of the Deceased, while well meaning, falls victim to its own poorly worded and vague clauses. This proposal requires the previous consent of the deceased to perform various actions in order to exempt them from 'grave molestation'. This becomes problematic if the death is sudden or the record of now deceased granting and denying these permissions is lost. The proposal also requires member nations to protect graves until the point of decay 'to the fullest possible extent from molestation' that could span well over a decade (at the very least), and would impose unreasonable requirements on member nations in order to comply. Finally, the proposal attempts to accommodate for religious and cultural beliefs but then requires the now deceased to have requested it and then prevents anything that violates Clause 1 and 4, thus defeating the whole point of this clause to begin with.

In accordance with the reasoning presented above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against this proposal.
Reducing Food Waste

Delegate's vote: For

Final vote (World): For - 11161; Against - 1902

Final vote (TNP): For - 466; Against - 42; Percentage of WA nations voting: 39.24%
[/align]

Recommendation: This proposal attempts to address the wasting of food and how citizens of WA member nations can better handle their leftovers. The proposal addresses various aspect of this in requiring food producers to minimize waste, recycling compost into agriculture, and expanding the duties and abilities of the International Food Wellfare Orgaization. A few concerns involved with this resolution include the lack of specific language that leaves a lot of the proposal up to interpretation and provides vague mandates. Furthermore, the proposal ignores the fact that food safety and standards do contribute to a large portion of food waste despite it being a net positive. In conclusion, this proposal generally promotes the sensible use of food and prevention of food waste that leaves openings to be expanded upon by more specific resoluitions.

In accordance with the reasoning presented above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For this proposal.
MSkSvav.jpg

Security Council

Spreading interregional peace and goodwill, via force if necessaryCondemn Kyrusia

Final vote (World): For - 1516; Against - 10818

Final vote (TNP): For - 45; Against - 421; Percentage of WA nations voting: 36.46%
[/align]

Recommendation: The proposed condemnation of Kyrusia is fundamentally lacking. This is primarily due to the rushed drafting process which did not allow for the following issues to be properly dealt with. Primarily, this proposal seems to brush over and totally exclude a very large amount of relevant content to this condemnation. When asked, the author claimed that they wanted this proposal to be light-hearted, which is perfectly fine in theory, but ultimately harms the execution of this proposal for such a deserving target.

Due to the reasoning above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against this proposal.
Condemn The New Inquisition

Final vote (World): For - 8440; Against - 4736

Final vote (TNP): For - 282; Against - 208; Percentage of WA nations voting: 37.63%
[/align]

Recommendation: TNP has a demonstrated history of opposing the condemnation of The New Inquisition, specifically during the most recent previous attempt at condemning TNI occurred in 2015 where effectively the same reasoning and text was used to justify the condemnation. While the proposal is fundamentally well drafted, TNP and TNI have developed strong relations and worked productively on many military operations since the acts of TNI mentioned in this proposal. This includes the 2015 defense of Stargate (historically a very close ally of TNP which TNI had no stake in), the invasion and refounding of Nazi Europe in which TNI and TNP are amoung those who jointly maintain the founder nation to this day, as well as the joint occupation of Scotland in 2014. Finally, the proposal appears to fail to mention various acts of the Founderless Regions Alliance committed that contributed to and eventually led to war between the two, and at the very least, placing sole blame on TNI is disingenuous. Generally addressing the recent dispatch that was released regarding the history of the events referred to in this proposal, it is disappointing that TNI did not lament the actions it took against TNP in the past, however it must also be acknowledged that it was not justifying them.

In accordance with the reasoning presented above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against this proposal.
Condemn North East Somerset

Final vote (World): For - 10615; Against - 2202

Final vote (TNP): For - 439; Against - 42; Percentage of WA nations voting: 36.52%
[/align]

Recommendation: North East Somerset, herein referred to as NES, is deserving of their condemnation for the various actions they have committed during their career and outlined by the proposed condemnation. These include directly assisting in the coups of The North Pacific, Lazarus, The Rejected Realms, and The East Pacific as well as their undermining of the Founderless Regions Alliance. Further condemnable acts include their involvement in regions which perpetuated unprovoked violence against various regions and their natives, namely Belgium. NES has built a career out of raiding, espionage, and destruction of governments specifically within the GCRs; as such they are very deserving of this condemnation.

In accordance with the reasoning provided above, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For this proposal.
The North Star: Lighting The Way To The Truth

Publisher: El Fiji Grande :: Executive Editor: Pallaith :: Managing Editor: Marcus Antonius

The North Star is produced by the Ministry of Communications on behalf of the Government of The North Pacific and is distributed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs externally and the Ministry of Home Affairs internally. Except where otherwise indicated, all content represents the views of the Government of The North Pacific.

Index of Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back