Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Feather
ƒ1,430
Nation
Imkiville
Region
Lazarus
So a lot of folks are very keen on getting our roleplay going, me included, so let's get a discussion going about what we want to see for it!

Do we want realistic, current era for our main world? Would we prefer future tech? How about fantasy?! Would we want a map? If so, do we just have a continent or a whole planet?

Any and all input is appreciated!

I'm good with anything, but I think Lazarus should start out with a fantasy roleplay!

I want to do PMT, because I already am rebooting an FT and MT RP on the main forums. Figure something PMT would be less grand in scale and more isolated.

In MT or FT, big wars or so on will draw other factions in, it's just how things happen. You got wormholes in FT and you got people hearing about wars on the news in MT.

I like fantasy stuff (books and movies and video games at least) but since that can be a bit of a vague genre it might be best to go with something like MT for our first mainstream roleplay. :D

In my experience MT and PT RPs tend to be the most successful/easiest to get off the ground.

Depends on what people want to do really.

Do we want to RP as our nations in the Lazarus region of the NSworld? -- Like II on the NS forums.

Do we want to create some fantasy world and RP as characters? -- Like P2TM on the NS forums.

Arlo said:
Do we want to RP as our nations in the Lazarus region of the NSworld? -- Like II on the NS forums.
Yes and no. I think a Modern Nation RP should be completely unrelated to NationStates.

People who want to use what they've written for their NS nations should be free to do it, but stats and whatever else would be completely unrelated. And people who just want to come up with something on their own should be free to choose a nation name, etc, unrelated to their NS nation.

People sort of do that anyway. The stats listed on your page can be ignored in favour of whatever you put in a factbook.

I prefer to RP on the main NS board these days. Helps me keep all my writings centralised. But I don't really mind either way.

I'll probably happily dabble in whatever tbh.

Arlo said:
People sort of do that anyway. The stats listed on your page can be ignored in favour of whatever you put in a factbook.

I prefer to RP on the main NS board these days. Helps me keep all my writings centralised. But I don't really mind either way.

I'll probably happily dabble in whatever tbh.
If you remember the RP I briefly run in Albion, 19th century or something Nation RP, that was then run by Riket and others, well, that's kinda what I'm vouching for. A completely self-contained rp universe.

Ah I see. I feel like that is the right approach for alternate time periods and fantasy stuff, but for modern tech nation RPs you might as well set it in the NS world, no?

I'd be partial to a modern fantasy world - that is, magic and fantastical creatures, but not set in dark ages tech level. I think fantasy as a genre suffers from that setting being over used, as if progress and innovation would not continue apace after the invention of, like, the wheel.

If not that, I like ever so slightly post-modern RP, so that you can do things that are a little beyond our grasp currently, but which can be imagined and the implementation is plausible. E.g., a monitoring system to perfectly track all your citizens. We don't have that in the real world, but it's easy to imagine that we *could* in 10 or 20 years.

Catalyse said:
Arlo said:
Ah I see. I feel like that is the right approach for alternate time periods and fantasy stuff, but for modern tech nation RPs you might as well set it in the NS world, no?
No, because eww NS world. :p

I'll drag you people into becoming RPers one way or another D:

Well, if only we had a crazy person who obsessed over RP and was building up a complex network of opposing sides, while roleplaying each faction with a completely different mindset.

Wink wink.

Oh and NS RP is the best, so many nations to connect together.

I myself am partial to MT and PT nation RP, as anything getting too far into the future becomes hard to manage (I know this from experience). Currently I'm setting up an ancient Greek setting region with some fantasy mixed in, as well as building a dice warfare system that may help here if anyone is interested in it.

From my experience in running RP regions over the last year or so I have learned a lot through trial and error. The best thing to start with before starting RP is to figure out RP rules, as well as figuring out if you want a standardized population amount increasing each year or individual nation growth. I can also recommend that we need RP moderators, as an RP without moderation quickly devolves into a horrible RP with god-modding among other things. Oh, and if we do nation RP a world map is a must.

Lenlyvit said:
I myself am partial to MT and PT nation RP, as anything getting too far into the future becomes hard to manage (I know this from experience). Currently I'm setting up an ancient Greek setting region with some fantasy mixed in, as well as building a dice warfare system that may help here if anyone is interested in it.

From my experience in running RP regions over the last year or so I have learned a lot through trial and error. The best thing to start with before starting RP is to figure out RP rules, as well as figuring out if you want a standardized population amount increasing each year or individual nation growth. I can also recommend that we need RP moderators, as an RP without moderation quickly devolves into a horrible RP with god-modding among other things. Oh, and if we do nation RP a world map is a must.

You typically need at least one moderator and a map of anywhere that is a conflict zone, thankfully maps aren't too hard to make.

Back